Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB to Parallel

USB to Parallel

Brian H¹©

Stuart said:

> If I connect my Parrallel Zip drive to the USB port via a usb to parrallel
> cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB speed?

Ask yourself this question, if I have a 56K modem on my system and I connect to
a site that has a 1MB cable modem, will I be able to download at cable speed?
Or will I be restricted to the speed of the slower equipment?

Stuart

If I connect my Parrallel Zip drive to the USB port via a usb to parrallel
cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB speed?

°Mike°

USB to parallel cables are for printers, not Zip drives.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:45:13 -0000, in
<c0oh9s$h5q$(E-Mail Removed)>
Stuart scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Paul - xxx

Stuart posted ...

> If I connect my Parrallel Zip drive to the USB port via a usb to
> parrallel cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB
> speed?

I doubt the Zip drive would work at all ..

--
Paul

bright

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> USB to parallel cables are for printers, not Zip drives.

I think Mike's wrong (Mike don't fret there is always a first time), D-link
makes a USB to a DB25 parallel connector (mod # DSB-S25) for older parallel
devices. Apparently there is a conversion circuit housed in the in
connector.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=160

>If I connect my Parallel Zip drive to the USB port via a USB to parallel
>cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB speed?

Not likely, since the drive's communications circuitry is designed to match
the speed of the port. So, I can't imagine any significant gain being made.
Perhaps D-Link could give you a better idea. BTW, there are lots of USB to
Centrex (printer type connector) available out there but these won't work
for you...

br1ght

°Mike°

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:33:03 -0600, in
<dARXb.3606$(E-Mail Removed)>
"bright" <nitrox_frogy[spamscrew]@yahoo.com> scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> USB to parallel cables are for printers, not Zip drives.
>>

>I think Mike's wrong (Mike don't fret there is always a first time), D-link
>makes a USB to a DB25 parallel connector (mod # DSB-S25) for older parallel
>devices. Apparently there is a conversion circuit housed in the in
>connector.
>http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=160

1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.
2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
I never said otherwise.
3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.
4. The usual use for such a cable is to free up the parallel
port for devices that need them, such as parallel Zip
drives.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

bright

> 1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.
> 2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
> I never said otherwise.
> 3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
> mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.
> 4. The usual use for such a cable is to free up the parallel
> port for devices that need them, such as parallel Zip
> drives.
>
> <snip>

Wiping the sleep out of my eyes,

Mike's right!

pcbutts1

No!

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0oh9s$h5q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I connect my Parrallel Zip drive to the USB port via a usb to parrallel
> cable converter will the zip drive then operate at USB speed?

°Mike°

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:15:31 -0600, in
<j4TXb.3620$(E-Mail Removed)>

--
Basic computer maintenance

John H. Guillory

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:48:23 +0000, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>1. That is a USB to SERIAL connector.

That's certainly explain the 's' in the modal #....

>2. I *know* there are USB to parallel cables available.
> I never said otherwise.
>3. Just because USB to parallel cables are available, doesn't
> mean that a parallel Zip drive will work on it.

Likewise, just because you have a USB Parallel printer cable,
doesn't mean it'll work on your printer. I had a friend call a
company and they said it only works if your printer supports being
hooked up via USB parallel cables.... My guess is it'd have to do
with if the printer driver tries to directly write to the printer port
or not....