Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HD refuses to format

HD refuses to format

Patrick

Murgi wrote:
>> Ever hear of a boot floppy?
>> Fdisk?

> Of course...
> But WOW.... both answers arrived less than 30 seconds after posting
> here in Tokyo!
> Thanks for pointing out the problem.
>
> Murgi

Is it possible that 'System Restore' (turn off on drive) or the 'Recycle
Bin' (clear the bin) is preventing the format.

Murgi

Hard disk formatting problem solved!!!

Well, everything worked out fine by selecting "Disk Management",
right-clicking the partition to be formatted, then selecting "Format" from
the popup window.
Although Windows reported an error in one case, it was all OK. Formatting an
internal or an external USB HD makes no difference.

Still, I wonder why the formatting function in My Computer fails
(right-clicking on the partition in question, and then choosing Format).
Anyway, this is a strange quirk in Windows XP methinks.

RDS

When you are in My Computer and click on that drive you are using that drive
therefore, you can not format a drive in use by Windows. When you are in
Disk Management it is a different story!

"Murgi" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) senet.com...
Hard disk formatting problem solved!!!

Well, everything worked out fine by selecting "Disk Management",
right-clicking the partition to be formatted, then selecting "Format" from
the popup window.
Although Windows reported an error in one case, it was all OK. Formatting an
internal or an external USB HD makes no difference.

Still, I wonder why the formatting function in My Computer fails
(right-clicking on the partition in question, and then choosing Format).
Anyway, this is a strange quirk in Windows XP methinks.

news.charter.net

FDISK

Murgi wrote:
> I have two older IDE hard drives (10 GB) which I want to use for backup
> purposes. However, I have problems to get them ready...
> They are connected via an external USB HD case.
>
> Disk 1 (one partition):
> Is recognized in My Computer. Clicking the icon brings up the message: "The
> disk drive F is not formatted; Format Yes/No"
> [Other parameters]
> Capacity: unknown
> File system: FAT
> Default Allocation Size
> [] Quick Format: If I use this function, it says first:
> "Formatting will erase all data..." OK
> Then the following message comes up: "Windows was unable to complete this
> format."
> Normal format function: same as with Quick Format
>
> Disk 2 (two partitions):
> Both partitions are recognized in My Computer. Clicking the icon for the
> first partition brings up the message: "The disk drive F is not formatted;
> Format Yes/No"
> If I try to format, it says again "Windows was unable to complete this
> format."
> Clicking on the icon of 2nd partition is normal and shows its contents.
>
> Does this indicate some more serious problems with the HDs?
> If not, how to get both HD formatted again? One HD was originally formatted
> with the NTFS file system, the other one is FAT (16 or 32; doesn't indicate
> any number).
> By the way, I use Windows XP Pro.

Murgi

"RDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8GVXb.6423$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> When you are in My Computer and click on that drive you are using that

drive
> therefore, you can not format a drive in use by Windows. When you are in
> Disk Management it is a different story!

I understand if I wanted to format drive C:>, the drive where my OS resides.
But this was a different drive letter on another external hard drive...
Oh well, from now on I'll stick to Disk Management anyway.