Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > gmail pop timeout

gmail pop timeout

Hi There,

Ever since I got my gmail account I have experienced difficulty
downloading largish emails.

I used mozilla 1.7.x and thought that upgrading to ThunderBird would
sort out the issue but no luck...

For the record I use a dial-up Internet connection and it is rather
often that downloading emails of 1+MB size can take 10mins or more.

I narrowed the options down to the following.
- Gmail uses secure POP
- Whenever a largish message arrives for my gmail account, the
download stops without warning after approx 10minutes without warning.
No matter how many times I retry the same thing happens.
- The problem seems to be a timeout after approx 10 mins of SSL POP
- I then have log on to gmail, download manually and delete the message
from inbox as well as trash.

For the record:
I use W2k SP4 operating system.
When I use M$ Outlook or Outlook Xpress, it works just fine.
The secure (gmail)SMTP server gives no problem.

Is this a known issue ? will there be a patch ?

Much thanks