Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Advice on installing new CDRW

Advice on installing new CDRW

Lee Davison

Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the sound
on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3 wires, red
black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole square connector.
If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end but not
the motherbaord side.

Thanks
Lee

JWooden271

That cable is for CD-audio, and it plugs into your sound card. If you
don't have a sound card, don't bother plugging it in.

Lee Davison wrote:
> Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the sound
> on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3 wires, red
> black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole square connector.
> If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end but not
> the motherbaord side.
>
> Thanks
> Lee

Lee Davison

Forgive my ingorance, but how will I listen to Audio CDs without this
plugged in? I dont have a sound card, I think its an inbuilt one on the
motherboard.

Thanks
Lee

"JWooden271" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UuvXb.38432$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> That cable is for CD-audio, and it plugs into your sound card. If you
> don't have a sound card, don't bother plugging it in.
>
> Lee Davison wrote:
> > Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the

sound
> > on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3 wires,

red
> > black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole square connector.
> > If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> > motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end but

not
> > the motherbaord side.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Lee

ICee

Lee Davison wrote:
> Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the
> sound on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3
> wires, red black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole
> square connector.
> If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end
> but not the motherbaord side.
>
> Thanks
> Lee

Plug it into the CD_IN connector in front of the PCI 1 slot.

MP

Check on the MOBO the CD-IN 1 or CD-IN 2 that`s it..
Enjoy

Marco

"Lee Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0m0o4$mrb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgive my ingorance, but how will I listen to Audio CDs without this
> plugged in? I dont have a sound card, I think its an inbuilt one on the
> motherboard.
>
> Thanks
> Lee
>
> "JWooden271" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UuvXb.38432$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > That cable is for CD-audio, and it plugs into your sound card. If you
> > don't have a sound card, don't bother plugging it in.
> >
> > Lee Davison wrote:
> > > Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the

> sound
> > > on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3 wires,

> red
> > > black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole square connector.
> > > If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> > > motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end but

> not
> > > the motherbaord side.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Lee

stumpy

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...XP%20Ultra.htm

"Lee Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0lvuh$ls$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the sound
> on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3 wires, red
> black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole square connector.
> If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end but not
> the motherbaord side.
>
> Thanks
> Lee

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Lee Davison mused:

| Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the sound
| on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3 wires, red
| black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole square connector.
| If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
| motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end but not
| the motherbaord side.

If you are using Windows XP as your OS, you needn't worry. XP will
channel the sound through the IDE ribbon.

Patrick

Lee Davison wrote:
> Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the
> sound on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3
> wires, red black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole
> square connector.
> If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end
> but not the motherbaord side.
>
> Thanks
> Lee

On my board (onboard-sound) theire are two 4-pin connectors named CD1 and
CD2.
These two connectors are different fittings as thiere are two kinds of
connector cables.
The connectors are located at the back of board towards the right.

As mentioned by someone else, you do not need to connect the cable if you
have XP.

Bob B

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:B8yXb.5897$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lee Davison wrote:
> > Could someone please advise where the small cable which provides the
> > sound on my CDRW is connected to on the motherboard. The cable has 3
> > wires, red black and white and terminates both ends in a 4 hole
> > square connector.
> > If its any help I have an Optowrite 52x CDRW and a Gigabyte 7VAXP
> > motherboard. The instruction show where to connect it the CDRW end
> > but not the motherbaord side.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Lee

> On my board (onboard-sound) theire are two 4-pin connectors named CD1 and
> CD2.
> These two connectors are different fittings as thiere are two kinds of
> connector cables.
> The connectors are located at the back of board towards the right.
>
> As mentioned by someone else, you do not need to connect the cable if you
> have XP.

That reminds me I had that cable with my first re writer and didnt use it
....and with my latest re writer it didn't include this wire. I haven't had
any sound probs with either re writer. I have 98SE ... BB