Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Disk Drive Problem

Hard Disk Drive Problem

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I lost my hard drive the other night. It's a Western Digital 80Gb
drive partitioned into four equal parts. I tried to install it as a
slave drive into a new system so I could copy data to the a new drive.
But it wasn't being recognized in the new system. After calling
Western Digital and speaking with tech support, I was told that
somehow, the partition table was corrputed. Windows XP was only seeing
one 80Gb drive. I was out of luck. Or so he said.

Being bullheaded and not wanting to believe I'd lost 70Gb of data, I
started playing around. Tonight, I installed the "corrupted" drive
into my new system as the master drive, booted up and lo and behold,
Windows 98SE (that's what was running on the old drive) came up fine
and dandy. I was able to access files and put them on floppies to
transfer to my new system after I put the new drive online again.

What I'm wondering though is this. I installed the old drive as the
master boot drive. It's drives C, D, E and F. I also left the new
drive hooked up as a secondary drive, but it wasn't recognized in
Windows 98. If it had been, I could have just done all my file
transfer then and there. The old drive is an IDE drive. The new drive,
a WD 120Gb drive is S-ATA. Is there a way, if I hook up the old drive
as the boot drive again, and boot to Windows 98SE, to have the new
S-ATA drive be recognized so I can transfer files? Thanks for any
help.

Win

Use the XP drive as master and your old srive as secondeay master
your problems will dissapare.
when you put your old drive back in old sys run a through scandick on it
from dos scandisl/? will tell you how . I think scandisk /all will do it
then go to WD site look for there dm program (disk manager) run all tests
your HDD will then be toshed or kept depending what you found
win

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I lost my hard drive the other night. It's a Western Digital 80Gb
> drive partitioned into four equal parts. I tried to install it as a
> slave drive into a new system so I could copy data to the a new drive.
> But it wasn't being recognized in the new system. After calling
> Western Digital and speaking with tech support, I was told that
> somehow, the partition table was corrputed. Windows XP was only seeing
> one 80Gb drive. I was out of luck. Or so he said.
>
> Being bullheaded and not wanting to believe I'd lost 70Gb of data, I
> started playing around. Tonight, I installed the "corrupted" drive
> into my new system as the master drive, booted up and lo and behold,
> Windows 98SE (that's what was running on the old drive) came up fine
> and dandy. I was able to access files and put them on floppies to
> transfer to my new system after I put the new drive online again.
>
> What I'm wondering though is this. I installed the old drive as the
> master boot drive. It's drives C, D, E and F. I also left the new
> drive hooked up as a secondary drive, but it wasn't recognized in
> Windows 98. If it had been, I could have just done all my file
> transfer then and there. The old drive is an IDE drive. The new drive,
> a WD 120Gb drive is S-ATA. Is there a way, if I hook up the old drive
> as the boot drive again, and boot to Windows 98SE, to have the new
> S-ATA drive be recognized so I can transfer files? Thanks for any
> help.

°Mike°

Did you set the 98SE drive's jumper to slave?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:43 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Yes, I tried that. Also tried with no jumper. Neither way worked.

>Did you set the 98SE drive's jumper to slave?
>

>On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:35:43 -0500, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
>>I lost my hard drive the other night. It's a Western Digital 80Gb
>>drive partitioned into four equal parts. I tried to install it as a
>>slave drive into a new system so I could copy data to the a new drive.
>>But it wasn't being recognized in the new system. After calling
>>Western Digital and speaking with tech support, I was told that
>>somehow, the partition table was corrputed. Windows XP was only seeing
>>one 80Gb drive. I was out of luck. Or so he said.
>>
>>Being bullheaded and not wanting to believe I'd lost 70Gb of data, I
>>started playing around. Tonight, I installed the "corrupted" drive
>>into my new system as the master drive, booted up and lo and behold,
>>Windows 98SE (that's what was running on the old drive) came up fine
>>and dandy. I was able to access files and put them on floppies to
>>transfer to my new system after I put the new drive online again.
>>
>>What I'm wondering though is this. I installed the old drive as the
>>master boot drive. It's drives C, D, E and F. I also left the new
>>drive hooked up as a secondary drive, but it wasn't recognized in
>>Windows 98. If it had been, I could have just done all my file
>>transfer then and there. The old drive is an IDE drive. The new drive,
>>a WD 120Gb drive is S-ATA. Is there a way, if I hook up the old drive
>>as the boot drive again, and boot to Windows 98SE, to have the new
>>S-ATA drive be recognized so I can transfer files? Thanks for any
>>help.

Steven

ive descovered that win xp is crap when it comes to detecting and using
faulty hdd's , the chkdisk on xp is pritty much useless too..
try windows 98 to access the faulty hdd, i have a faulty weston digital
120gb drive it was less than a year old when it broke so maybe weston
digital drives are flawed , i found with it after using it or a log time it
gets warmer and you cant access it , leaveing it to cool for a few hours can
ususally get it going again..

Steve
ps. has anyone else had problems with weston digital drives like when they
die in less than a year?