Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > modem problem

modem problem

nigel

I had a Lucent modem on my PC with Win98SE. There were problems with
accessing webpages because everything would suddenly stop for up to 1.5
minutes, before continuing.
The dealer that sold me the computer lent me an external usb modem which
worked really well, no stalling problems.
So the dealer then replaced the internal modem with a CXT1086 HCF PCI modem.
I can see it in DEVICE MANAGER and clicking properties tells me that the
device is working property. In DIAL UP NETWORKING its there. But when I try
to sends a fax or go online I get the "no dial tone" message.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

°Mike°

Right click on the DUN connectoin, and in the properties,
uncheck the option to wait for the dial tone.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:10:00 +0000 (UTC), in
<c0i7pn$j19$(E-Mail Removed)>
nigel scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

nigel

Thanks for the advice. However, I went back to the dealer and he said that
it was "weird" and that I should take the USB modem and permanently use that
instead of the internal modem. I think he thought it easier for him to do
that than to try and fix the problem. The computer is less than 6 months
old so is under guarantee. So far I been online for a cuople of hours with
the new modem and no problems to report, except that I lost the connection
and it took four attempts to get back online, maybe not a modem problem?