Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to send a signal to wake on lan

How to send a signal to wake on lan

steve

Hello,
I have all the bios setup correctly and my m/b is also compatible am using a
wake on lan network card (netgear fa312) but how the heck do you send the
signal to turn the computer on. All the info I could find is how to setup
the stuff and not getting it to turn on. I am using the magic packet
software.
thanks for your help to this matter.

Dan Shea

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:29:57 GMT, "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>I have all the bios setup correctly and my m/b is also compatible am using a
>wake on lan network card (netgear fa312) but how the heck do you send the
>signal to turn the computer on. All the info I could find is how to setup
>the stuff and not getting it to turn on. I am using the magic packet
>software.
>thanks for your help to this matter.

You need a little program dealie to send the magic packet. There are
any number of VB scripts and command line utilities out there that
will do it, or you could download something like this:

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.asp

Cheers,
dan

steve

Thanks a lot that is exactly what I have been looking for. I was just
wondering do you happen to use this program and if so what do you think of
it.
"Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:29:57 GMT, "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I have all the bios setup correctly and my m/b is also compatible am

using a
> >wake on lan network card (netgear fa312) but how the heck do you send the
> >signal to turn the computer on. All the info I could find is how to

setup
> >the stuff and not getting it to turn on. I am using the magic packet
> >software.
> >thanks for your help to this matter.

> You need a little program dealie to send the magic packet. There are
> any number of VB scripts and command line utilities out there that
> will do it, or you could download something like this:
>
> http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.asp
>
> Cheers,
> dan

Dan Shea

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:32:27 GMT, "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks a lot that is exactly what I have been looking for.

You're welcome.

>I was just
>wondering do you happen to use this program and if so what do you think of
>it.

Nope, I use a command line utility. I have very little cause to use
WOL.

Cheers,
dan