Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "80 Conductor?"

"80 Conductor?"

ernie entwhistle

On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
"Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.

Ern'

chip_y2kuk

"ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0gurh$aa1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
> "Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
> As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
> intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
> e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.

I think you will find the Board your using has an incompatible IDE cable
this usually happens on motherboards that reguire and ship with certain IDE
cables and you use a generic IDE cable it throws up this error. But i might
be wrong!!.

why?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:31:23 -0000, ernie entwhistle wrote:

>On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
>"Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."

Assuming on the system , which you didn't mention mobo type/model or
even BIOS version, that the IDE cable settings are set to Auto and not
80 when you are using a 40way cable. You didn't mention that either or
even the hard disk type, it is an ATA 100/133 device?

> As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
>intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
>e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.

Swap with a known good cable.
Check BIOS settings.
That it's a ATA100/133 disk.
Don't mix CDROM or other non ATA100/133 device on same cable.

>Ern'

Me

Unk

All the newer drives are using the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cables
for increased speed. They will still work with 40 conductor, but not as
fast.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/id...Cable80-c.html

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:31:23 -0000, "ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
>"Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
> As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
>intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
>e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.
>
>Ern'

ICee

ernie entwhistle wrote:
> On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
> "Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
> As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
> intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a
> clue. e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.
>
> Ern'

Disk drives that have UDMA enabled require a 80 conductor, 40 pin IDE
cable. The error is telling you you need to replace the 40 conductor
cable with a 80 conductor cable.

Meat-->Plow

<(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>On a system I have recently cobbled together,I get a boot-up warning
>"Primary IDE Channel No 80 Conductor Installed."
> As I am having horrendous problems including the hard Disk
>intermittently not being recognised, I wondered if this might be a clue.
>e.g. an open circuit on the Primary IDE ribbon connector.
>
>Ern'

Install an 80 conductor ribbon.