Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking XP Home and 98 through modem

Networking XP Home and 98 through modem

Mike

Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network home
machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline network
adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone wiring. Can I do
this simply by coupling the modem cables for each machine such that the 98
line goes where the out to phone line would run in the XP modem. If this is
possible in terms of hardware how do I set it up the software. Many thanks.

--
Regards

Mike [delete field in mail]

Harrison

http://www.homepna.org/

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:13:07 -0000, "Mike" <news_mike_2004[ Delete ]@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network home
>machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline network
>adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone wiring. Can I do
>this simply by coupling the modem cables for each machine such that the 98
>line goes where the out to phone line would run in the XP modem. If this is
>possible in terms of hardware how do I set it up the software. Many thanks.

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

Mike wrote:
| Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network
| home machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline
| network
| adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone wiring.
| Can I do this simply by coupling the modem cables for each machine
| such that the 98 line goes where the out to phone line would run in
| the XP modem. If this is possible in terms of hardware how do I set
| it up the software. Many thanks.

no

--
Gazwad

Freelance scientist and people tester.
Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
Moderator: alt.warez.uk

Sultan

Mike wrote in news:c0gq94$gjb$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network
> home machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline
> network adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone
> wiring. Can I do this simply by coupling the modem cables for each
> machine such that the 98 line goes where the out to phone line would
> run in the XP modem. If this is possible in terms of hardware how do I
> set it up the software. Many thanks.

Linksys sells this as a kit and it works great for the customers I've
installed for. Personally I still like using Cat5e instead but for those
that don't want to run additional wires or don't want the expense of
wireless this is a great solution.

Sultan

Lord Gazwad of Grantham

Sultan wrote:
| Mike wrote in news:c0gq94$gjb$(E-Mail Removed):
|
|| Is this possible? In XP help it says that it is possible to network
|| home machines through the phone line using HPNA (home phoneline
|| network adapter) - links computers via existing household telephone
|| wiring. Can I do this simply by coupling the modem cables for each
|| machine such that the 98 line goes where the out to phone line would
|| run in the XP modem. If this is possible in terms of hardware how do
|| I set it up the software. Many thanks.
|
| Linksys sells this as a kit and it works great for the customers I've
| installed for. Personally I still like using Cat5e instead but for
| those that don't want to run additional wires or don't want the
| expense of wireless this is a great solution.
|
| Sultan

If you knew anything about HPNA you'd realise that the kit comprises an
adapter to connect between the USB port and the phone line.

Now since the OP asked if he could simply use the modem already in his PC
please explain why you didn't actually answer the questions posed.

You useless streak of period ****.

--
Gazwad

Freelance scientist and people tester.
Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
Moderator: alt.warez.uk

Ron G

I've been doing this successfully for a couple of years -- XP laptop
connected to two Win98se machines, one of which is a server. The server
has a linksys card, the XP and other use USB adaptors. This said, it is
very, very difficult to find telephone adaptors. In fact, the only place
I could find them was on eBay, which was recently selling them from SMC
for about five bucks each. XP is a bit grumpy at times, but by and large
with a little tweaking all works very well at about 10MPS. Incidentally,
my phone line is one that is NOT shared with a working telephone, it's
an extra one in our house. If you go this route and want to access the
web off your clients you will need a software program like WinProxy; the
one that came with my Linksys card is a real turkey. Hope this helps.