Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Not a problem more of a challenge/learning curve

Not a problem more of a challenge/learning curve

Osiris Luxor

Hi
System information
Running Windows 98 SE
Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
Bios American Megatrend
Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor

I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
was the same as the one already installed
I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd

My questions are
Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)

TIA

Osiris

chip_y2kuk

"Osiris Luxor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> System information
> Running Windows 98 SE
> Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
> Bios American Megatrend
> Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
> 250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
>
> I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
> on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
> It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
> Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
> set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
> My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
> motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
> was the same as the one already installed
> I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
> that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
>
> My questions are
> Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
> or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
> wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
>
> TIA
>
> Osiris

i had a simmilar problem once was with the same size disks 2 a 20gig and and
80gig both drives were the same make i did everything u did flashed bios and
all turns out all i was doin wrong was confiquring the jumpers on the back
of the disk.

Not saying its the same for you but have ya checked that???

Harrison

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:18:08 +0000 (UTC), Osiris Luxor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>System information
>Running Windows 98 SE
>Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
>Bios American Megatrend
>Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
>250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
>
>I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
>on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
>It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
>Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
>set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
>My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
>motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
>was the same as the one already installed
>I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
>that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
>
>My questions are
>Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
>or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
>wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
>
>TIA
>
>Osiris

It's not your BIOS if the drive shows up in fdisk correctly.
You'll need to create partitions of less than 32 GB.
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q184/0/06.ASP

Osiris Luxor

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:31:27 -0000, "chip_y2kuk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Osiris Luxor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi
>> System information
>> Running Windows 98 SE
>> Motherboard PC Chips M598LMR1.0
>> Bios American Megatrend
>> Ram 416mb (128+256+32)
>> 250Mghz AMD K6-2 Processor
>>
>> I realise it is hardly a cutting edge system but I use it as a 2nd PC
>> on my home network ,mainly for storing mp3 and movies
>> It has a 20gb Hdd and I have replaced the 8Gb second Hdd with a 80gb
>> Hdd ,succesfully but I can only see 31gb ,I did go through Fdisk and
>> set it up so I would see all 80gb as one drive
>> My intiall thought was that the bios needed flashing so that the
>> motherboard would support the 80gb Hdd but the only bios I could find
>> was the same as the one already installed
>> I also realise that it is possible that their isnt a bios available so
>> that the motherboard will suport a 80gb Hdd
>>
>> My questions are
>> Does anybody know of a bios upgrade so that i can see all 80gb
>> or another solution so that I can leave the 80gb in this PC the Hdd
>> wont go to waste as I will put it in my other PC (14mths old)
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Osiris

>i had a simmilar problem once was with the same size disks 2 a 20gig and and
>80gig both drives were the same make i did everything u did flashed bios and
>all turns out all i was doin wrong was confiquring the jumpers on the back
>of the disk.
>
>Not saying its the same for you but have ya checked that???

Cheers
Sorted mis understood the jumper settings I thought I had to install
the jumper for hdd above 32gb but that limited the drive to 32 gb
removed jumper so that it is set as slave re-ran Fdisk and
reformatted drive everything ok thanks for your help

Glad I could help!!