Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linux & blind users

Linux & blind users

Rob K

Ladies and gents,

Some of you use an OS that somehow refers to any of various erect
short-legged flightless aquatic birds.

How's things in the Linux world where it comes to blind users depending
on text to speech programs ?

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

philo

"Rob K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) nvalid...
> Ladies and gents,
>
> Some of you use an OS that somehow refers to any of various erect
> short-legged flightless aquatic birds.
>
> How's things in the Linux world where it comes to blind users depending
> on text to speech programs ?

http://leb.net/blinux/

why?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:33:52 +0100, Rob K wrote:

>Ladies and gents,
>
>Some of you use an OS that somehow refers to any of various erect
>short-legged flightless aquatic birds.
>
>How's things in the Linux world where it comes to blind users depending
>on text to speech programs ?

Fairly good from what I recall.

www.google.com or
Searched the web for
linux text to speech

In either a SuSE or Mandrake install it even scanned for a braille
writer.

I think one of the things to search for is the 'accessability howto' ,
better yet here is a link to a 2002 version.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...sibility-HOWTO

When I was doing some CSS, I also came across 'Emacspeak' as well.

Me

Rob K

philo wrote:
<snip>

Thank you, philo.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:
(E-Mail Removed)

Rob K

why? wrote:
<snip>

> When I was doing some CSS, I also came across 'Emacspeak' as well.
>
> Me

Thank you, why?.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:
(E-Mail Removed)

B.Al.Zeebub

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:33:52 +0100, Rob K pecked at a keyboard in panic:

> Ladies and gents,
>
> Some of you use an OS that somehow refers to any of various erect
> short-legged flightless aquatic birds.
>
> How's things in the Linux world where it comes to blind users depending
> on text to speech programs ?

Festival or Emacspeak are probably the applications to use for
text-to-speech support.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/festival/
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

You may also want to examine the options in this link:
http://linux-sound.org/speech.html

There are also some specific Linux distributions:
http://www.brlspeak.net/
http://www.oralux.org/

Good Luck
--
B.Al.Zeebub
Registered Linux User #339345

Rob K

B.Al.Zeebub wrote:
<snip>

> Good Luck

Thank you !

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:
(E-Mail Removed)

TT

test

Rob K wrote:
> B.Al.Zeebub wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Good Luck

> Thank you !

Re: Linux is FREE....Where are the users??????????????? LINUX is FREE...Where are it's users??????????????????? heather.banger@gmail.com Computer Support 5 10-21-2007 05:48 PM
Exorcism: The Blind Leading The Blind Hats HTML 0 06-20-2005 12:49 AM
Firefox for blind users? . Firefox 3 12-14-2004 08:43 AM
Shared ADSL fine but network blind? Steve Campbell Wireless Networking 1 10-10-2004 02:49 AM

Advertisments