Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Turntable 2 questions

Turntable 2 questions

Bigfred

1st question.

I am about to convert my vinyl records to MP3's however will it be ok to do
so using a turntable with a preamp built in or do I need to boost the signal
through a hifi amp.

2 nd question.

Would it be better to connect the turntable directly through my pc soundcard
or would it be better if I obtained a creative SoundBlaster see link
http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG...labs_soun.html and
connect through that, any help on this would be appreciated as I have never
done this before.

Thanks.

ICee

Bigfred wrote:
> 1st question.
>
> I am about to convert my vinyl records to MP3's however will it be ok
> to do so using a turntable with a preamp built in or do I need to
> boost the signal through a hifi amp.
>
> 2 nd question.
>
> Would it be better to connect the turntable directly through my pc
> soundcard or would it be better if I obtained a creative SoundBlaster
> see link
> http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG...labs_soun.html and
> connect through that, any help on this would be appreciated as I have
> never done this before.
>
> Thanks.

What was wrong with the answers you got in your previous post?
news:(E-Mail Removed)

news:c08ujr$146hvc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de

Bigfred

Sorry there has been problems with my ISP regarding mails and I have lost
your last reply.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bigfred wrote:
> Sorry there has been problems with my ISP regarding mails and I have
> lost your last reply.

No problem, just wondering if you have a further question, as the links
provided by Ionizer were very good at explaining how to do it. And, to
further clarify, you take the output of the turntable (from the
pre-amp), directly to the Auxiliary input of your sound card. You can
use Music Match Jukebox, as suggested in the web article, or one of many
other similar programs. Jet Audio works nicely as well, and it's free
also.
The SB Live is a good sound card, but the sound card you have may work
just as well. Give it a try before spending money on something you
don't need (unless you need a sound card, of course ).

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bigfred wrote:
>>> 1st question.
>>>
>>> I am about to convert my vinyl records to MP3's however will it be
>>> ok to do so using a turntable with a preamp built in or do I need to
>>> boost the signal through a hifi amp.
>>>
>>> 2 nd question.
>>>
>>> Would it be better to connect the turntable directly through my pc
>>> soundcard or would it be better if I obtained a creative
>>> SoundBlaster see link
>>> http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG...labs_soun.html
>>> and connect through that, any help on this would be appreciated as
>>> I have never done this before.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> What was wrong with the answers you got in your previous post?
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> news:c08ujr$146hvc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de

Bigfred

Thanks for all your help, extremely pleased that I can use Jet Audio as I
have it on my PC and had no idea I could use it for this purpose, once again
a big thankyou.

Bigfred wrote:
> Thanks for all your help, extremely pleased that I can use Jet Audio
> as I have it on my PC and had no idea I could use it for this
> purpose, once again a big thankyou.

Yes, I use Jet Audio myself and like it a lot. Use the "Recording"
button on top to set things up for recording the LP's. Check the source
you want to use when making a MP3 or WAV file. Depending on the audio
card you have, you would select the "Auxiliary" input, which you use as
the input for the turntable.
And, you're welcome.