Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Shutdown

Shutdown

Sierra

Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
amy ideas?
Simon

chip_y2kuk

"Sierra" <simon.day@invalid> wrote in message
news:j4sWb.3511$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
> shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
> press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
> same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
> amy ideas?
> Simon

If i remember right this one is to do with API and the way win XP deals with
shuting down and i bet in the other version of win you used it used to shut
off??

the API was sumthing to do with the BIOS not suporting it or it not being
enabled or properly congiured or summit along those lines

Harrison

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:56:52 -0000, "chip_y2kuk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Sierra" <simon.day@invalid> wrote in message
>news:j4sWb.3511$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
>> shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
>> press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
>> same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
>> amy ideas?
>> Simon
>>

>If i remember right this one is to do with API and the way win XP deals with
>shuting down and i bet in the other version of win you used it used to shut
>off??
>
>the API was sumthing to do with the BIOS not suporting it or it not being
>enabled or properly congiured or summit along those lines

http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

Craven Birds

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:56:52 -0000, "chip_y2kuk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Sierra" <simon.day@invalid> wrote in message
> >news:j4sWb.3511$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when

it
> >> shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
> >> press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running

the
> >> same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
> >> amy ideas?
> >> Simon
> >>

> >If i remember right this one is to do with API and the way win XP deals

with
> >shuting down and i bet in the other version of win you used it used to

shut
> >off??
> >
> >the API was sumthing to do with the BIOS not suporting it or it not being
> >enabled or properly congiured or summit along those lines

> http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/

Ouch!
--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

JM

Sierra wrote:

> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
> shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
> press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
> same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
> amy ideas?
> Simon

I am seeing the same behavior on one of my systems.
However, it is my oldest motherboard that is most probably
the cause of it. The motherboard is from 1993 and used to
run Win 3.1 when the whole system arrived on my doorstep
in 1993. If you want to research that motherboard of your
dad's you might find why or if it can be tweaked in the bios
to fix your annoyance. Also check www.annoyances.org for
clues as well. Here are search results at that site for
"it is now safe to shut"

http://tinyurl.com/2jffp

If you find the answer there (TINT), post it back here
(TINH). (^:

JM

--
"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear
kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor

ICee

Sierra wrote:
> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except
> when it shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then
> you have to press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on
> my pc running the same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without
> touching the tower, amy ideas?
> Simon

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

Gordon

have you tried running through the troubleshooter? so obvious im sure you
have.
Gordon
"Sierra" <simon.day@invalid> wrote in message
news:j4sWb.3511$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just installed win xp-pro on my fathers pc,all running fine except when it
> shuts down it says 'it is now safe to turn the pc off' then you have to
> press the button on the tower and it shuts off,except on my pc running the
> same winxp-pro it shuts it all off together without touching the tower,
> amy ideas?
> Simon

x64 shutdown issues =?Utf-8?B?RGF2QVJlaQ==?= Microsoft Certification 4 05-31-2005 12:26 PM
Slow shutdown Bill Wireless Networking 7 01-30-2005 01:59 AM
Unexpected Shutdown Myrt Webb Wireless Networking 3 11-10-2004 02:02 AM
Unable to use "shutdown" command on the network Vals56 Wireless Networking 0 10-01-2004 07:54 PM
CIM shutdown Domain BackUp JohnNews Cisco 1 12-05-2003 02:54 AM

Advertisments