Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop LCD Screen

Laptop LCD Screen

NoSpam

Hello All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally scrambling
the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and restart it
usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
straighten it out.

Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
running right the video is fine.

Thanks

Brian

Unk

If the problem only occurs when cold, I would suspect a loose connection or
cold solder joint. It's as bad as a Chinese puzzle trying to take it apart
to check. You might be best off contacting Dell.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:06:20 GMT, "NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally scrambling
>the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and restart it
>usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
>straighten it out.
>
>Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
>running right the video is fine.
>
>Thanks
>
>Brian

Oscar Gonzalez

An easy way to check to see if its the LCD or video card is to plug in
an external monitor. If the "scrambling" occurs on the external monitor
also then you know is the VGA card, if it doesn't then you know the LCD.
From my experience it sounds like its the LCD. we've had a few
Inspiron 8000s, 7500s and 8100 have their LCD replaced cuz it just
crapped out overnight. If its under warranty Dell will replace it for
free just give them a call. If not it will be a nice chunk of change to
replace.

----------------------------
Oscar Gonzalez
www.rageconsulting.com

NoSpam wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally scrambling
> the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and restart it
> usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
> straighten it out.
>
> Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
> running right the video is fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

Fred

"NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gefWb.1695$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally

scrambling
> the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and

restart it
> usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
> straighten it out.
>
> Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
> running right the video is fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

I had an intermittent problem with my TI Laptop, I was sure it was a
broken wire due to
opening and shutting and sent it back to Acer for a cable replacement.
Acers quoted a 1000.00 charge to replace the TFT screen!!!!
I told them I would go public with their outrageous demand and guess
what -
they found a new cable and fitted it for 35.00 (That was 5 years ago
and the
laptop is still going strong.)
Moral ? BEWARE (Not that I am suggesting Dell would stoop that low!)
Fred

NoSpam

"Fred" <"Fred"@invalid.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:c0dssp$16947a$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gefWb.1695$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally

> scrambling
> > the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and

> restart it
> > usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
> > straighten it out.
> >
> > Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
> > running right the video is fine.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Brian

> I had an intermittent problem with my TI Laptop, I was sure it was a
> broken wire due to
> opening and shutting and sent it back to Acer for a cable replacement.
> Acers quoted a 1000.00 charge to replace the TFT screen!!!!
> I told them I would go public with their outrageous demand and guess
> what -
> they found a new cable and fitted it for 35.00 (That was 5 years ago
> and the
> laptop is still going strong.)
> Moral ? BEWARE (Not that I am suggesting Dell would stoop that low!)
> Fred

I can move the monitor on it's hinges and it doesn't seam to effect the
system so it may not be the cable. I'm guessing it's the LCD. I guess I need
to try and hook a CRT monitor to it and see if I can make it happen.

Thanks
Brian

Blinky the Shark

NoSpam wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop that has started occasionally scrambling
> the screen at boot up. If I shut it off with the power switch and restart it
> usually it clears up. Some times it takes a couple of shut downs to
> straighten it out.

> Is the LCD screen going south or video card? When it's started up and
> running right the video is fine.

Try opening it from the other side.

No, really. Mine has a hinky connection somewhere inside the left edge
of the frame. If I open it by that side, with my left hand, the display
is hosed. If I open it from the front or right, it's fine. Been that
way for a year or so.

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org