Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > athlon XP2600 or not?

athlon XP2600 or not?

ICee

http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm

>> That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz
>> FSB. There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256
>> KB L2 cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the
>> Barton core (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz
>> FSB.
>>
>> It is confusing, to be sure.

> I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should
> automatically set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100 MHz!
> Or am I missing something?

If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new CPU, the BIOS
may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a "protective"
measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the BIOS, then power back up,
will set the FSB to it's proper speed. If the BIOS has the abiltiy to
manually set the FSB, it's easiest to just do that.

Craven Birds

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Craven Birds wrote:
> > "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm
> >>
> >> That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz
> >> FSB. There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256
> >> KB L2 cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the
> >> Barton core (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz
> >> FSB.
> >>
> >> It is confusing, to be sure.

> > I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should
> > automatically set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100 MHz!
> > Or am I missing something?

> If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new CPU, the BIOS
> may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a "protective"
> measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the BIOS, then power back up,
> will set the FSB to it's proper speed. If the BIOS has the abiltiy to
> manually set the FSB, it's easiest to just do that.

Ha! Never knew that! Thanks for the info.
--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

ICee

Craven Birds wrote:
> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Craven Birds wrote:
>>> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm

>>> I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should
>>> automatically set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100
>>> MHz! Or am I missing something?

>> If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new CPU, the
>> BIOS may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a
>> "protective" measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the BIOS,
>> then power back up, will set the FSB to it's proper speed. If the
>> BIOS has the abiltiy to manually set the FSB, it's easiest to just
>> do that.

> Ha! Never knew that! Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

Micio

Hello "ICee" !!
Now I am really confused with the Speed of Athlon.
I have Intel at the present and considering to upgrade
to a faster toy like Athlon but after reading all the news,
I think I will stick with Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is
faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP has lots of holes
only a few patches,and is more aerodynamically
designed therefore is faster. Sorry Guys *Micio*

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Craven Birds wrote:
> > "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

mainboard, with

is a

default

mailed an

http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm

133 MHz

core

FSB, and

with a

to 100

> >> If the BIOS is not cleared before powering up with a new

CPU, the
> >> BIOS may come up at a defaulted FSB speed of 100 MHz, as a
> >> "protective" measure. Usually, shutting down, clearing the

BIOS,
> >> then power back up, will set the FSB to it's proper speed.

If the
> >> BIOS has the abiltiy to manually set the FSB, it's easiest

to just
> >> do that.

> > Ha! Never knew that! Thanks for the info.

> You're welcome.

Blinky the Shark

Micio wrote:

> like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
> Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
> has lots of holes

I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org

DC

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Micio wrote:

>> like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
>> Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
>> has lots of holes

> I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
> between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

It's no big deal. My donut has way more sprinkles than that -- of
course, that still doesn't explain why there is no swingarm on the back
of a schoolbus.

--
DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

Mark Mandell

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Micio wrote:
>
> > like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
> > Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
> > has lots of holes

> I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
> between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

What's an "Anthlon"?

OH, I KNOW, it's an Athlon powered by ants!

Heh, heh, heh!

> --
> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
> http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
> http://blinkynet.net

\x@y\/Micio

Hello "Blinky" !!
After reading all the Posts on Athlon I had that
uncontrollable urge to Post a Joke about It.
I noticed You Edited my original Post You took
the patches out.
I know the difference between OPs. & Motherboards.
Thanks for Your Input. x@y/micio

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Micio wrote:
>
> > like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will

stick with
> > Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600.

Windows XP
> > has lots of holes

> I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison

between
> between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.
>
> --
> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
> http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
> http://blinkynet.net

Blinky the Shark

Mark Mandell wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Micio wrote:

>> > like Athlon but after reading all the news, I think I will stick with
>> > Microsoft Windows XP Home, it is faster than Athlon XP2600. Windows XP
>> > has lots of holes

>> I believe this is the first time I've seen a speed comparison between
>> between Windows XP and an Anthlon XP.

> What's an "Anthlon"?

An Athlon and a totally ignored on-the-fly spellchecker.

> OH, I KNOW, it's an Athlon powered by ants!

Spinning teeeeenytiny little hamster wheels for power.

--

"x@y"/Micio wrote:
> Hello "Blinky" !!
> After reading all the Posts on Athlon I had that
> uncontrollable urge to Post a Joke about It.
> I noticed You Edited my original Post You took
> the patches out.
> I know the difference between OPs. & Motherboards.
> Thanks for Your Input. x@y/micio

I don't "edit" quotes. I'll snip lines, as long as the meaning doesn't
change.

What patches?