Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > athlon XP2600 or not?

athlon XP2600 or not?

ernie entwhistle

I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an OEM
Athlon XP2600.
The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or a 1300
depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
performance settings"
Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an incorrect
cpu?

Another Anonymous

1st you need to know which chip you have (either a 266fsb or a 333fsb) then
set the fsb on your mobo accordingly.

--
By *Plonk*ing me,
you hereby admit to my

Craven Birds

"ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0bss9$6i3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an OEM
> Athlon XP2600.
> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or a

1300
> depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
> performance settings"
> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an incorrect
> cpu?

Probably the CPU is not compatible with MoBo as you say. Happens quite a
lot

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Craven Birds

"ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0bss9$6i3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an OEM
> Athlon XP2600.
> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or a

1300
> depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
> performance settings"
> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an incorrect
> cpu?

Set FBS of CPU to 333. That Mobo supports it. If it is still wrong the CPU
you have is not a Athlon XP2600. IMO.

CB

ICee

ernie entwhistle wrote:
> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
> OEM Athlon XP2600.
> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or
> a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or
> "High performance settings"
> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
> incorrect cpu?

Your FSB is defaulting to 100 MHz. The 2600 uses a FSB of 166 MHz
(12.5x166 = 2.08 GHz). Go into the BIOS and set the FSB to 166 MHz.

ernie entwhistle

Many thanks ICee! It is Most Definitely the XP 2600 that I ordered.

Ern'

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ernie entwhistle wrote:
> Many thanks ICee! It is Most Definitely the XP 2600 that I ordered.
>
> Ern'

You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted.

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ernie entwhistle wrote:
>>> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
>>> OEM Athlon XP2600.
>>> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250
>>> or a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings
>>> or "High performance settings"
>>> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
>>> incorrect cpu?

>> Your FSB is defaulting to 100 MHz. The 2600 uses a FSB of 166 MHz
>> (12.5x166 = 2.08 GHz). Go into the BIOS and set the FSB to 166 MHz.

Dumpster

"ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0bss9$6i3$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
OEM
| Athlon XP2600.
| The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250 or
a 1300
| depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings or "High
| performance settings"
| Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
incorrect
| cpu?

Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:
http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm

--
Dumpster

ICee

Dumpster wrote:
> "ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0bss9$6i3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
>> OEM Athlon XP2600.
>> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250
>> or a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings
>> or "High performance settings"
>> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
>> incorrect cpu?
>>

> Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:
> http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm

That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz FSB.
There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256 KB L2
cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the Barton core
(512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB.

It is confusing, to be sure.

Craven Birds

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dumpster wrote:
> > "ernie entwhistle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c0bss9$6i3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have just built a system around a MSI KT4 AV-L mainboard, with an
> >> OEM Athlon XP2600.
> >> The startup screen and the device manager say that it is a 1250
> >> or a 1300 depending on whether I opt for optimised default settings
> >> or "High performance settings"
> >> Is this something I have set wrong or have I been mailed an
> >> incorrect cpu?
> >>

> > Actually runs at 2.13 Gig. This may help some:
> > http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...r/xp2600-2.htm

> That's the older Thoroughbred core 2600, which ran with a 133 MHz FSB.
> There are now two current XP2600+'s, the Thoroughbred core (256 KB L2
> cache), which runs at 2.08 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB, and the Barton core
> (512 KB L2 cache), which runs at 1.9 GHz with a 166 MHz FSB.
>
> It is confusing, to be sure.

I'm damn well confused as well! The MoBo in question should automatically
set the correct CPU speeds IMO, not default to 100 MHz! Or am I missing
something?