Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > only part of hard drive space showing

only part of hard drive space showing

Robert Bradshaw

How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of it.

What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?

Screenshot of my problem:

http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg

I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.

any ideas?

win xp pro

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N_0Wb.22958$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
> format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of

it.

> What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
>
> Screenshot of my problem:
>
> http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
>
> I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
> free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
>
> any ideas?
>
> win xp pro

Did you format it as fat 32 or NTFS???
Gaz

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:c0a6um$149923$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N_0Wb.22958$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
> > format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of

> it.
> >
> > What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
> >
> > Screenshot of my problem:
> >
> > http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
> >
> > I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
> > free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
> >
> > any ideas?
> >
> > win xp pro

Forgot to say.
Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
This page has other info on your problem to.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a jumper
that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.

Gaz

Patrick

Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
> "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:c0a6um$149923$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>
>> "Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:N_0Wb.22958$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
>>> format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is
>>> 32gb of it.
>>>
>>> What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
>>>
>>> Screenshot of my problem:
>>>
>>> http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
>>>
>>> I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
>>> free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
>>>
>>> any ideas?
>>>
>>> win xp pro

> Forgot to say.
> Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
> This page has other info on your problem to.
> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
> Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a
> jumper that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.
>
> Gaz

I can't see the OP, but here is a picture of the drive (jumper pins) that
shows that if pins 1 & 2 are connected, then it will be limited to 32GB.
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st360021a.html

°Mike°

You cannot format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB
with the Windows XP setup routine. Either partition
the drive, using a 98 bootup floppy, or use NTFS.

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to
Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:54:06 +1300, in
<N_0Wb.22958$(E-Mail Removed)>
Robert Bradshaw scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Robert Bradshaw

Patrick wrote:
> Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
>
>>"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>message news:c0a6um$149923$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>
>>>"Robert Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:N_0Wb.22958$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>Forgot to say.
>>Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
>>This page has other info on your problem to.
>>http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
>>Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a
>>jumper that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.
>>
>>Gaz

> I can't see the OP, but here is a picture of the drive (jumper pins) that
> shows that if pins 1 & 2 are connected, then it will be limited to 32GB.
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st360021a.html

Thanks guys that was exactly what I had done thinking I had set it as
master without checking the label (opposite sides)

Thanks again for all the quick responses.

Robert

tterry

Did you choose FAT as the file system? Choose NTFS instead if you did...

Robert Bradshaw wrote:

> Patrick wrote:
>
>> Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
>>
>>> "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:c0a6um$149923$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

>>> Forgot to say.
>>> Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
>>> This page has other info on your problem to.
>>> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
>>> Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a
>>> jumper that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.
>>>
>>> Gaz

>> I can't see the OP, but here is a picture of the drive (jumper pins) that
>> shows that if pins 1 & 2 are connected, then it will be limited to 32GB.
>> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st360021a.html
>>

> Thanks guys that was exactly what I had done thinking I had set it as
> master without checking the label (opposite sides)
>
> Thanks again for all the quick responses.
>
> Robert

Robert Bradshaw

tterry wrote:

> Did you choose FAT as the file system? Choose NTFS instead if you did...

<snip>

Nope I had it on NTFS, just had a jumper on the HDD in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Robert