Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Possible Knackered hard drive

Reply
Thread Tools

Possible Knackered hard drive

 
 
Jedi-Jonny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004
My mum has a problem with her 2 year old computer and I have tried
everything to fix it.
Can't access the hard drive at all and the A-drive seems inoperative also. I
can get into the Bios, but I cant make it boot from the A-drive to run a
first aid program, only the hard drive (as an option) or the CD rom drive.
I've tried a boot disk in the cd-rom and I can get access to that, but still
not the hard drive.

The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
Capable but disabled
There is also a blue screen error page which runs through lots of file names
then gives a mounted volume error message.
My mother lets all her grandchildren use the PC (ages 17 down to 3) so we
are leaning towards a possible internet virus problem where its killed the
hard drive.
Would love to have a possible answer/solution to this other than buy a new
drive, which isn't a problem, but there are digital photographs my mum would
rather save.

TIA.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004

"Jedi-Jonny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5hUVb.6056$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My mum has a problem with her 2 year old computer and I have tried
> everything to fix it.
> Can't access the hard drive at all and the A-drive seems inoperative also.

I
> can get into the Bios, but I cant make it boot from the A-drive to run a
> first aid program, only the hard drive (as an option) or the CD rom drive.
> I've tried a boot disk in the cd-rom and I can get access to that, but

still
> not the hard drive.
>
> The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
> Capable but disabled


All that means is that the harddrive monitoring utility (SMART)
is not turned on in the BIOS...
if you enable it...you will only see a message if the harddrive is about to
fail


> There is also a blue screen error page which runs through lots of file

names
> then gives a mounted volume error message.
> My mother lets all her grandchildren use the PC (ages 17 down to 3) so we
> are leaning towards a possible internet virus problem where its killed the
> hard drive.
> Would love to have a possible answer/solution to this other than buy a new
> drive, which isn't a problem, but there are digital photographs my mum

would
> rather save.
>
> TIA.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2004


> > The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
> > Capable but disabled

>
> All that means is that the harddrive monitoring utility (SMART)
> is not turned on in the BIOS...
> if you enable it...you will only see a message if the harddrive is about

to
> fail
>
>

I forgot to mention...
if you can at least get to the C: drive in dos

try running scandisk


 
Reply With Quote
 
Sultan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2004
Jedi-Jonny wrote in
news:5hUVb.6056$(E-Mail Removed):

> My mum has a problem with her 2 year old computer and I have tried
> everything to fix it.
> Can't access the hard drive at all and the A-drive seems inoperative
> also. I can get into the Bios, but I cant make it boot from the
> A-drive to run a first aid program, only the hard drive (as an option)
> or the CD rom drive. I've tried a boot disk in the cd-rom and I can
> get access to that, but still not the hard drive.
>
> The error message says Ultra DMA Mode -5, S.M.A.R.T
> Capable but disabled
> There is also a blue screen error page which runs through lots of file
> names then gives a mounted volume error message.
> My mother lets all her grandchildren use the PC (ages 17 down to 3) so
> we are leaning towards a possible internet virus problem where its
> killed the hard drive.
> Would love to have a possible answer/solution to this other than buy a
> new drive, which isn't a problem, but there are digital photographs my
> mum would rather save.
>
> TIA.
>
>
>


Try getting a copy of Knoppix, it is a linux distro that you can run right
from the cd, it will let you view the hard drive (if it is viewable), and
with a burner you could recover any data on the drive.

Sultan


-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knackered doS Computer Support 0 02-15-2010 05:11 PM
Knackered Layered Service Provider Flighty Computer Support 1 03-07-2004 04:05 PM
Monitor knackered? TheDailySpank Computer Support 6 02-29-2004 10:46 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM
Power Supply or Motherboard Knackered. Chris Computer Support 10 12-20-2003 03:03 PM



Advertisments