Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Athlon Thoroughbred or Barton

Athlon Thoroughbred or Barton

Buffy

I'm going to buy a 2600XP Athlon but am unsure as to get the TBred or
Barton. Any suggestions?

Thanks

ICee

Buffy wrote:
> I'm going to buy a 2600XP Athlon but am unsure as to get the TBred or
> Barton. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Get the Barton, since it has 512 KB L2 cache, and the Tbred has only 256
KB L2 cache. Otherwise, the core is the same.

Buffy

I'll still be running 512MB of pc2100 ram for a while. Will this cause the
updated cpu a problem?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Buffy wrote:
> I'll still be running 512MB of pc2100 ram for a while. Will this
> cause the updated cpu a problem?

Only if you want to run it at it's rated speed, since it's a 166 MHz FSB
CPU. You could set the FSB to 133 MHz, but the newer AMD CPU's have
locked multipliers, so it would only run at 1530 MHz (11.5x133).

--
"God's Final Message to His Creation:
'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"

Buffy

Just to clarify then. If I wanted to run the Barton 2600 at its rated speed
of 1.92GHz I'd have to buy pc2700 333 ddr ??

Buffy wrote:
> Just to clarify then. If I wanted to run the Barton 2600 at its rated
> speed of 1.92GHz I'd have to buy pc2700 333 ddr ??

That is correct. Starting with the XP2500+ and up, the default FSB is
166 MHz, and since the multiplier is locked (starting with CPU's
manufactured after ~ week 36 of 2003), running it at anything lower than
166 MHz FSB will underclock the CPU.
If you want to run it at it's rated speed, you will have to have at
least PC2700 memory.

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Buffy wrote:
>>> I'll still be running 512MB of pc2100 ram for a while. Will this
>>> cause the updated cpu a problem?

>> Only if you want to run it at it's rated speed, since it's a 166 MHz
>> FSB CPU. You could set the FSB to 133 MHz, but the newer AMD CPU's
>> have locked multipliers, so it would only run at 1530 MHz (11.5x133).
>>

>>> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> "God's Final Message to His Creation:
>> 'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"
>> So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

--
"God's Final Message to His Creation:
'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Buffy

My final question for you! Is CL2 faster (better) than CL 2.5?

Buffy wrote:
> My final question for you! Is CL2 faster (better) than CL 2.5?

Yes, CL2 (CAS 2, actually) memory is "faster" than CAS (Column Address
Strobe) 2.5 . However, good quality CAS 2.5 memory can run with a
setting of 2.0, if the BIOS allows changing the timings. The 2.0, or
2.5, refers to the number of clock cycles delay before data is read.
CAS is explained very well at this page:
http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/dimms3.shtml
Just scroll down to "What is the difference between CAS-2 and CAS-3
DIMMs".

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Buffy wrote:
>>> Just to clarify then. If I wanted to run the Barton 2600 at its
>>> rated speed of 1.92GHz I'd have to buy pc2700 333 ddr ??

>> That is correct. Starting with the XP2500+ and up, the default FSB
>> is 166 MHz, and since the multiplier is locked (starting with CPU's
>> manufactured after ~ week 36 of 2003), running it at anything lower
>> than 166 MHz FSB will underclock the CPU.
>> If you want to run it at it's rated speed, you will have to have at
>> least PC2700 memory.
>>

>>> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> --
>> "God's Final Message to His Creation:
>> 'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"
>> So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

--
"God's Final Message to His Creation:
'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Oxford Systems

"Buffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c08m1k$h3p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm going to buy a 2600XP Athlon but am unsure as to get the TBred or
> Barton. Any suggestions?

Sure. Get the Thoroughbred. Unless you overclock the Barton, the
Thoroughbred is actually a little faster.

Oxford Systems

"Buffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c08o0q$rbf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just to clarify then. If I wanted to run the Barton 2600 at its rated

speed
> of 1.92GHz I'd have to buy pc2700 333 ddr ??

See my previous posts. What motherboard will you be using? You may be able
to run the processor at its full rated speed even with slower memory but
performance will of course suffer somewhat. What are you using this machine
for anyway? If you're just surfing the net, running office applications and
doing light (non-stressful, not state of the art) gaming, you won't notice.
If you are doing heavy gaming, manipulating large graphics files or encoding
video, you will notice a lot but if you are doing most of that (especially
the encoding video) this is the wrong (as in "not optimum") processor for
you anyway.

Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron??? Jerry Computer Support 5 03-13-2006 03:28 AM
with a athlon venice core can you mix 32 and 64 bit drivers ? VIA athlon 64 - 64 bit win pro Swan Windows 64bit 2 07-25-2005 12:53 PM
Upgrade Athlon 2500XP Barton to 3200XP? Kenny Computer Support 0 09-16-2004 08:48 AM
AMD XP Barton stumpy Computer Support 6 03-07-2004 01:32 PM
ASUS A7V600 with AMD ATHLON 2400XP thoroughbred Buffy Computer Support 1 12-26-2003 12:33 PM

Advertisments