Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Audio Problem, Cannot play .wav files.

Audio Problem, Cannot play .wav files.

Tony Briscoe

I have a computer running Win ME. For some reason (?) it has stopped being
able to play .wav files. Anyone help me with this one please? I think it may
be an audio codec problem, but I don't know which one, and what to do about
it.
Thanks

°Mike°

Does this problem occur with all .wav files, or only certain ones?

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:06:15 -0000, in
<c08ent$kbk$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tony Briscoe scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Tony Briscoe

Thanks Mike for the reply, It is all wav files, I can play MP3, CD's etc but
when I attempt to play a wav file, Windows Media Player tells me it is
unable to play this file.

"Tony Briscoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c08ent$kbk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a computer running Win ME. For some reason (?) it has stopped being
> able to play .wav files. Anyone help me with this one please? I think it

may
> be an audio codec problem, but I don't know which one, and what to do

about
> it.
> Thanks

°Mike°

Please don't reply to yourself.

What is the *exact* error message you get when you
attempt to play a .wav file?

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:11:49 -0000, in
<c0945e$sen$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tony Briscoe scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Voodoo

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:06:15 -0000, "Tony Briscoe"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a computer running Win ME. For some reason (?) it has stopped being
>able to play .wav files. Anyone help me with this one please? I think it may
>be an audio codec problem, but I don't know which one, and what to do about
>it.
>Thanks

If it's a codec, you might try re installing WMP and see if that re
installs the codec you need and solves the problem.

Also, have you tried playing WAV's with other media players such as
QuickTime, Winamp, or Real Player?

Tony Briscoe

"Voodoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:06:15 -0000, "Tony Briscoe"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a computer running Win ME. For some reason (?) it has stopped

being
> >able to play .wav files. Anyone help me with this one please? I think it

may
> >be an audio codec problem, but I don't know which one, and what to do

about
> >it.
> >Thanks
> >

> If it's a codec, you might try re installing WMP and see if that re
> installs the codec you need and solves the problem.
>
> Also, have you tried playing WAV's with other media players such as
> QuickTime, Winamp, or Real Player?

Thanks for the replies,
I haven't got the computer at hand at the moment, I have loaned the computer
to a friend who wants to do some typing, but to try to answer your
questions, I haven't got QuickTime, Winamp, or Real Player installed. Would
installing any, or all these players install the missing codec, I could get
copies of those players if it would solve the problem, failing that how
would I get a copy of WMP, is it part of Windows ME?

Voodoo

http://tinyurl.com/5iuk

Tony Briscoe

"Voodoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:29:24 -0000, "Tony Briscoe"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the replies,
> >I haven't got the computer at hand at the moment, I have loaned the

computer
> >to a friend who wants to do some typing, but to try to answer your
> >questions, I haven't got QuickTime, Winamp, or Real Player installed.

Would
> >installing any, or all these players install the missing codec, I could

get
> >copies of those players if it would solve the problem, failing that how
> >would I get a copy of WMP, is it part of Windows ME?

> http://tinyurl.com/5iuk

The link above is dead, it keeps timing out.

Boomer

Tony Briscoe, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Voodoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:29:24 -0000, "Tony Briscoe"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for the replies,
>> >I haven't got the computer at hand at the moment, I have
>> >loaned the

> computer
>> >to a friend who wants to do some typing, but to try to answer
>> >your questions, I haven't got QuickTime, Winamp, or Real
>> >Player installed.

> Would
>> >installing any, or all these players install the missing
>> >codec, I could

> get
>> >copies of those players if it would solve the problem, failing
>> >that how would I get a copy of WMP, is it part of Windows ME?

>> http://tinyurl.com/5iuk
>>

> The link above is dead, it keeps timing out.

It's not dead. Works fine for me.

Tony Briscoe

news:4028b9f3$0$187$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> Tony Briscoe, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "Voodoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > computer

> > Would

> > get
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/5iuk
> >>

> > The link above is dead, it keeps timing out.

> It's not dead. Works fine for me.

Tried it again, timed out again, Message reads: 'Server Unreachable, please
contact Administrator'
I'll try again a little later.