Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Winxp pro upgrade trouble

Winxp pro upgrade trouble

JIM

Hope someone can help

I've been having a spot of bother with win98se lately
i.e bluescreening etc so i was adviced to upgrade to Winxp pro
I started the upgrade from windows 98 but about halfway
through 66% it just hangs and does nothing more.
I reebooted and tried again but i does the same.

Its a pretty new system and was working fine till
i connected to broadband last week. I've ran a
virus check and found nothing

Any ideas please.

Harrison

Upgrading a problematic machine generally results in an upgraded
problematic machine.
The blue screens could easily be hardware related and such problems
will carry over to the upgrade. To test your computer's hardware, I
recommend getting a copy of Knoppix and running the machine on it. If
your hardware runs Knoppix, it should run Windows. If not, then you
have to find the problem.
Knoppix is a self-contained, bootable version of Linux on a CD. The OS
runs completely from the CD, so the only hardware taken out of the
picture is the hard drive, and even then, Knoppix will allow you to
access the drive for diagnostics and file recovery.

Also, viruses, spyware, adware, and other software problems can play a
role in a bad upgrade. You scanned for viruses, but was it with the
latest virus definitions?

At this point, the next logical step would be to back up your
documents, if possible, and try a fresh install of XP.
You can do this with an upgrade disk as long as you have the 98 CD
handy.
Post back if you don't know how to install XP from a bootable CD.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:31:12 -0000, "JIM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hope someone can help
>
>I've been having a spot of bother with win98se lately
>i.e bluescreening etc so i was adviced to upgrade to Winxp pro
>I started the upgrade from windows 98 but about halfway
>through 66% it just hangs and does nothing more.
>I reebooted and tried again but i does the same.
>
>Its a pretty new system and was working fine till
>i connected to broadband last week. I've ran a
>virus check and found nothing
>
>Any ideas please.

jim

Cheers Harry, ur very helpful

<Harrison> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Upgrading a problematic machine generally results in an upgraded
> problematic machine.
> The blue screens could easily be hardware related and such problems
> will carry over to the upgrade. To test your computer's hardware, I
> recommend getting a copy of Knoppix and running the machine on it. If
> your hardware runs Knoppix, it should run Windows. If not, then you
> have to find the problem.
> Knoppix is a self-contained, bootable version of Linux on a CD. The OS
> runs completely from the CD, so the only hardware taken out of the
> picture is the hard drive, and even then, Knoppix will allow you to
> access the drive for diagnostics and file recovery.
>
> Also, viruses, spyware, adware, and other software problems can play a
> role in a bad upgrade. You scanned for viruses, but was it with the
> latest virus definitions?
>
> At this point, the next logical step would be to back up your
> documents, if possible, and try a fresh install of XP.
> You can do this with an upgrade disk as long as you have the 98 CD
> handy.
> Post back if you don't know how to install XP from a bootable CD.
>
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:31:12 -0000, "JIM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hope someone can help
> >
> >I've been having a spot of bother with win98se lately
> >i.e bluescreening etc so i was adviced to upgrade to Winxp pro
> >I started the upgrade from windows 98 but about halfway
> >through 66% it just hangs and does nothing more.
> >I reebooted and tried again but i does the same.
> >
> >Its a pretty new system and was working fine till
> >i connected to broadband last week. I've ran a
> >virus check and found nothing
> >
> >Any ideas please.

upgrade from WinXP Pro x32 to x64 on the same drive (partitioned) =?Utf-8?B?a2JsYWluZQ==?= Windows 64bit 8 03-11-2007 02:48 PM
best way to upgrade pirated winxp pro to genuine copy on 12 PCs mandohead Computer Support 3 12-24-2006 12:09 AM
WinXP Pro upgrade DL Computer Support 9 08-08-2005 11:50 PM
Upgrade HD from 10 to 80 GB w/ WinXP PRO tyh@hyt.tyh Computer Support 2 11-04-2004 02:44 AM
WinXP Pro "upgrade" vs. full edition SGT Robo Computer Support 18 07-12-2004 01:21 AM

Advertisments