Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FSB Explained

FSB Explained

TwisterFreak

Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set up to
make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.

For example if i have a Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz and 512B DDR266. When i boot up
it says 26 x 100.
What perhaps should this be set as.
Are there other settings in the BIOS that should be changed?
If you need any other information that could be relevant, just shout.

Many thanks

Darren

Mara

http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/cpus-busspeeds.html
http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice111700.html

--
"... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
-- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

ICee

TwisterFreak wrote:
> Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
> confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set
> up to make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.
>
> For example if i have a Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz and 512B DDR266. When i
> boot up it says 26 x 100.
> What perhaps should this be set as.
> Are there other settings in the BIOS that should be changed?
> If you need any other information that could be relevant, just shout.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Darren

Front Side Bus explained:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
correct.

TwisterFreak

Great website, thanks Mara.

I will have a bit of a play with the settings after the football has
finished

All the best

Darren

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:28:15 -0000, TwisterFreak wrote:
>
> >Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
> >confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set up to
> >make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.

> http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/cpus-busspeeds.html
> http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice111700.html
>

> >For example if i have a Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz and 512B DDR266. When i boot

up
> >it says 26 x 100.
> >What perhaps should this be set as.
> >Are there other settings in the BIOS that should be changed?
> >If you need any other information that could be relevant, just shout.
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >Darren
> >

> --
> "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
> -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

TwisterFreak

OK, thanks ICee. Perhaps i won't be playing with my settings.

In your experience would you say that if a BIOS is set to determine this
automatically, it usually gets it right.

Cheers everyone

Darren

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> TwisterFreak wrote:
> > Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
> > confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set
> > up to make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.
> >
> > For example if i have a Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz and 512B DDR266. When i
> > boot up it says 26 x 100.
> > What perhaps should this be set as.
> > Are there other settings in the BIOS that should be changed?
> > If you need any other information that could be relevant, just shout.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Darren

> Front Side Bus explained:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus
>
> The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
> correct.

ICee

TwisterFreak wrote:
> OK, thanks ICee. Perhaps i won't be playing with my settings.
>
> In your experience would you say that if a BIOS is set to determine
> this automatically, it usually gets it right.
>
> Cheers everyone
>
> Darren

Yes, the BIOS is usually defaulted to 'AUTO' settings, and will
automatically set the multiplier and FSB speeds. In some cases, it's
possible to 'overclock' the CPU and/or system, if the BIOS has options
to manually set the FSB and/or the multiplier. In the case of Intel
CPU's (and now AMD also), the multiplier is locked, so overclocking is
accomplished by increasing the FSB.
Unless your BIOS allows 1 MHz increments, it's doubtful the Celeron will
run at 26x133, or 3.4 GHz.

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> TwisterFreak wrote:
>>> Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a
>>> little confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should
>>> be set up to make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.
>>>
>>> For example if i have a Intel Celeron 2.6Ghz and 512B DDR266. When i
>>> boot up it says 26 x 100.
>>> What perhaps should this be set as.
>>> Are there other settings in the BIOS that should be changed?
>>> If you need any other information that could be relevant, just
>>> shout.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> Darren

>> Front Side Bus explained:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus
>>
>> The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
>> correct.

Mara

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:50:26 -0000, TwisterFreak wrote:

>Great website, thanks Mara.

You're welcome.

>I will have a bit of a play with the settings after the football has
>finished

Don't play _too_ much. You do want your system to be able to boot, after all.
<g>

>All the best
>
>Darren
>
>"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 16:28:15 -0000, TwisterFreak wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, one of guys could possibly explain something to me. I am a little
>> >confused about what exactly the FSB is and how a BIOS should be set up to
>> >make use of CPU and Memory capabilities.

>> http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/cpus-busspeeds.html
>> http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice111700.html

<snip>

--
"... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
-- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

David Precious

ICee wrote:

> The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
> correct.

2.6MHz? I know Celerons aren't that fast, but jeez! <g>

Dave P

--
David Precious
http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

ICee

David Precious wrote:
> ICee wrote:
>
>> The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
>> correct.

> 2.6MHz? I know Celerons aren't that fast, but jeez! <g>
>
> Dave P

Doh!
That's the new short wave RF version. Tune in the world.

Craven Birds

"David Precious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ICee wrote:
>
> > The Celeron 2.6 MHz CPU runs with a FSB of 100 MHz, so 26x100 is
> > correct.

> 2.6MHz? I know Celerons aren't that fast, but jeez! <g>
>
> Dave P

INTEL Celeron 2.6G CPU (128K) (CPU 079)

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

XP3000+Bar 400 FSB V XP3000+Bar 333 FSB BIG NIGE Computer Support 5 09-29-2004 09:52 PM
Procesor FSB Radox Computer Support 9 07-29-2004 05:20 PM
Up Grading 333 Mhz Vs 400Htz FSB JimboSlim Computer Support 5 08-30-2003 12:33 PM
Quick FSB 800 and Mobo Questions Tuzzy@@ Computer Support 0 08-27-2003 09:54 AM
FSB settings ted Computer Support 5 08-18-2003 01:38 AM

Advertisments