Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > COMPUTER CRASHED - HELP!!

COMPUTER CRASHED - HELP!!

Just Me

Last night a message popped up stating a WIDOWS update (to Windows 9
was avaiable. I clicked OK and whe it was time to install the
installation got about hlf way then I got a message stating due to
some error it couldn't install the update. My compuer froze-up and
when I rebooted it wouldn't go any further than the C-prompt (C:\).
That's where I am now.

My problem is that i want t re-install WINDOWS 98, but my computer no
longer recognizes either of my CD drives. How do I reinstall WIN 98
in a case like this?

Thanks In Advance for your help.

P.S. I'm using my laptop to send this message.

°Mike°

Use your Windows 98 bootup floppy, and choose CD
support bootup.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:47:31 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Just Me scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Frank_G

> Last night a message popped up stating a WIDOWS update (to Windows 9
> was avaiable. I clicked OK and

was it an email - microsoft doesn't send update messages this way, but virus
authors do.

Try booting with a floppy - if you don't have one go here
http://bootdisk.com/

Frank_G

.....i meant to add that if you do suspect a virus you may as well try
getting at it first or it may stonewall your other efforts - you may be able
to scan from your good machine if they're networked ( various installed or
online options) or you could create a boot + antivirus program on floppies
(3x) by going here and d/l the FP-UP.exe (which makes a boot dist + the
F-Prot AV program) and following directions http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/