Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Inspiron 3200 with No Bios Screen (only BLANK screen)

Inspiron 3200 with No Bios Screen (only BLANK screen)

opensource71

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for reading me and for any help you might give me.
I have the following problem on an old Inspiron 3200 that I need to
fix up.

When I turn on the power button, I see the power light goes on and
hear the CPU fan spinning but there is absolutely no other sign of
life: no bios screen and no hard drive activity. Just a BLANK screen.
I have already tried to hook up the Dell to an external monitor, just
to double check that the LCD was not dead, but, of course, nothing
changes.

My first guess is that this laptop has a "power problem", but its
battery seems to charge normally and hold its juice. The only thing I
cannot be sure of is, if the battery still yields the right voltage
output.

I am not aware of the Inspiron BIOS battery condition.
However, if the battery were dead, the POST should still run at its
factory default settings, shouldn't it? Finally, if the laptop were
locked by some security chip (actually, I do not have any experience
with security chips behaviors!), I would still reckon that some sort
of activity should happen on the Inspiron 3200.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem before?
Do you any suggestions, about how I can get this notebook to show the
BIOS screen?

Opensource71

Jay Mcginn

I would be looking at a few things... first... could be the MotherBoard,
RAM, or CPU...

Other than that.. if you had it apart... mabey the hard drive isn't plugged
in properly..

Are there any beeps?

"opensource71" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot for reading me and for any help you might give me.
> I have the following problem on an old Inspiron 3200 that I need to
> fix up.
>
> When I turn on the power button, I see the power light goes on and
> hear the CPU fan spinning but there is absolutely no other sign of
> life: no bios screen and no hard drive activity. Just a BLANK screen.
> I have already tried to hook up the Dell to an external monitor, just
> to double check that the LCD was not dead, but, of course, nothing
> changes.
>
> My first guess is that this laptop has a "power problem", but its
> battery seems to charge normally and hold its juice. The only thing I
> cannot be sure of is, if the battery still yields the right voltage
> output.
>
> I am not aware of the Inspiron BIOS battery condition.
> However, if the battery were dead, the POST should still run at its
> factory default settings, shouldn't it? Finally, if the laptop were
> locked by some security chip (actually, I do not have any experience
> with security chips behaviors!), I would still reckon that some sort
> of activity should happen on the Inspiron 3200.
>
> Has anyone experienced this type of problem before?
> Do you any suggestions, about how I can get this notebook to show the
> BIOS screen?
>
> Opensource71

opensource71

"Jay Mcginn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1jlVb.90230$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I would be looking at a few things... first... could be the MotherBoard,
> RAM, or CPU...

I removed the RAM on the expansion slot and nothing changed.
I do not think the mobo has gone and the CPU seems working given that
the fan goes on.

> Other than that.. if you had it apart... mabey the hard drive isn't plugged
> in properly..

The hard drive is properly inserted in its slot.

> Are there any beeps?

No beeps: I wish I could get some BIOS signal!!!

Any other suggestion?

Opensource71

Dan Shea

On 8 Feb 2004 03:08:30 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (opensource71)
wrote:

>"Jay Mcginn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1jlVb.90230$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> I would be looking at a few things... first... could be the MotherBoard,
>> RAM, or CPU...

>I removed the RAM on the expansion slot and nothing changed.
>I do not think the mobo has gone and the CPU seems working given that
>the fan goes on.

A working CPU fan is not necessarily indicative of a working CPU.

>No beeps: I wish I could get some BIOS signal!!!

A couple things, snipped from your original post:

>My first guess is that this laptop has a "power problem", but its
>battery seems to charge normally and hold its juice. The only thing I
>cannot be sure of is, if the battery still yields the right voltage
>output.

Yeah, you can be pretty sure. If it still holds a charge, it's still
good enough.

>I am not aware of the Inspiron BIOS battery condition.
>However, if the battery were dead, the POST should still run at its
>factory default settings, shouldn't it?

Absolutely.

> Finally, if the laptop were
>locked by some security chip (actually, I do not have any experience
>with security chips behaviors!), I would still reckon that some sort
>of activity should happen on the Inspiron 3200.

I'd also reckon that you should know whether it's got anything like
that or not on it before you try fixing it.

>Has anyone experienced this type of problem before?
>Do you any suggestions, about how I can get this notebook to show the
>BIOS screen?

If it's at all possible to show the BIOS screen, hitting F2 when you
start it up should do it. Frankly, I'm not so sure you've got a
working CPU in that thing.

If you're worried about the display, try htting Function + F8 to
toggle the display to the external video and plug in a monitor.

Cheers,
dan