Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Very wierd problem

Very wierd problem

Bob Peterson

I can no longer access web content.

Email and news works fine, and IE settings seem fine, and the other computer
I have attached to the same cable modem (through a router) works fine as
well.

I went into IE and deleted all the cache files, cookies and history (one
never knows what might work here), but same problem.

No matter what web site I go to I get the same screen:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
browser settings.

Then screen offers an option to detect network settings, but that does not
seem to help any.

I did note that this morning some kind of windows update occurred. I wonder
if somehow they are related. I don't recall if I accessed web content prior
to the update or not, but don't think I have since.

OS = XP.

Anyone have any ideas?

RDS

What ISP do you have? What are your security settings?

As a first step go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and
hit enter.

Note: There is a space between ipconfig and /flushdns.

"Bob Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c04594$11qgrc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
[...]

Unk

First, reboot and see if that fixed it.

Failing that, Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections,
Click Local Area Connection, "Support" tab, and click the "Repair" button.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:01:07 -0600, "Bob Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I can no longer access web content.
>
>Email and news works fine, and IE settings seem fine, and the other computer
>I have attached to the same cable modem (through a router) works fine as
>well.
>
>I went into IE and deleted all the cache files, cookies and history (one
>never knows what might work here), but same problem.
>
>No matter what web site I go to I get the same screen:
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
>might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
>browser settings.
>

>Then screen offers an option to detect network settings, but that does not
>seem to help any.
>
>I did note that this morning some kind of windows update occurred. I wonder
>if somehow they are related. I don't recall if I accessed web content prior
>to the update or not, but don't think I have since.
>
>OS = XP.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

Bob Peterson

"RDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TRgVb.16955$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> What ISP do you have? What are your security settings?
>
> As a first step go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns

and
> hit enter.
>
> Note: There is a space between ipconfig and /flushdns.

Well, I first tried restoring Windows back to before the update. No
difference.

Then I tried your suggestion. IE immediately locked up and I could not shut
it off even from the task manager, and was forced to use the power switch.

When it rebooted it went through scandisk and said a bunch of IE temp
folders in documents and settings (apparrently hidden files since I can't
even see them) were corrupt. These I later deleted using cleanup disk.

Now I seem to be able to access web content normally. very strange. wonder
what happened.

> "Bob Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c04594$11qgrc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I can no longer access web content.
>
> Email and news works fine, and IE settings seem fine, and the other

computer
> I have attached to the same cable modem (through a router) works fine as
> well.
>
> I went into IE and deleted all the cache files, cookies and history (one
> never knows what might work here), but same problem.
>
> No matter what web site I go to I get the same screen:
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
> might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust

your
> browser settings.
>

> Then screen offers an option to detect network settings, but that does not
> seem to help any.
>
> I did note that this morning some kind of windows update occurred. I

wonder
> if somehow they are related. I don't recall if I accessed web content

prior
> to the update or not, but don't think I have since.
>
> OS = XP.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Mike245

Bob Peterson wrote:

> I can no longer access web content.

Check your connection settings. You may need to be on a proxy or your
proxy may have failed. You should contact your ISP for directions.

In the meantime you can use Mozilla. Highly recommended.

http://www.mozilla.org/

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Bob Peterson

"Mike245" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bob Peterson wrote:
>
> > I can no longer access web content.

> Check your connection settings. You may need to be on a proxy or your
> proxy may have failed. You should contact your ISP for directions.

no proxy involved. not sure why it works now, but i guess the dnsflush
thingee worked.