Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DOS Booting problem

DOS Booting problem

Anastasio A Rossi

If I boot up with a CD, a DOS screen comes up, asking if I want to boot from CD-ROM or Hard Disk. (options are to enter 1, or 2).
But I am unable to do so because the keyboard or mouse does not respond. I tried reinstalling WindowsMe, but the problem remains. I fear there is something wrong at the lowest level. Does anyone know what might cause this, and how to correct it?

Often, too, after reaching Windows, the letters or spaces do not repeat when a key is held down. I mention this, not as a separate problem, but in case it may have some bearing on the above problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Running WinMe at 1.8G 256 RAM

Kay Archer

"Anastasio A Rossi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_u9Vb.4273$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> If I boot up with a CD, a DOS screen comes up, asking if I want to boot

from CD-ROM or Hard Disk. (options are to enter 1, or 2).
> But I am unable to do so because the keyboard or mouse does not respond. I

tried reinstalling WindowsMe, but the problem remains. I fear there is
something wrong at the lowest level. Does anyone know what might cause this,
and how to correct it?

> Often, too, after reaching Windows, the letters or spaces do not repeat

when a key is held down. I mention this, not as a separate problem, but in
case it may have some bearing on the above problem. Any suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.

> Running WinMe at 1.8G 256 RAM

Are you, by chance, using USB keyboard and mouse?

Professor

When you reach the DOS screen asking to boot form the CD-ROM or Hard Disk
you are supposed to use the arrow key to scroll up or down to the choice you
want to make. If you are trying to reinstall Windows you boot from the
CD-ROM and it will scan your C drive to see if there are any errors.