Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > int & ext modem on same computer

int & ext modem on same computer

malcomsmith

recently purchased a PC and it's a real pain trying to use the internet,
as it sometimes stops downloading for up to 1.5 minutes at a time, at random
moments. It is a problem thats gone on for ages and I had lots of advice
on another newsgroup about what could be the problem. The problem has
persisted and the shop that sold it to me said it was likely a
characteristic of the modem. He has offered to replace the modem but can't
guarantee it will stop the pauses. I asked him if it was worth borrowing an
external modem from him to see if that makes any difference and he has no
objection to this approach, it means that I won't have to take the computer
to the workshop unless the modem definitely needs to be changed.
I would like to ask people on this newsgroup if they think it will be easy
to plug the external modem in, try it out and then revert to the internel
modem. Are there technical problems that I need to consider, and would I
have to uninstall/install the software for the internal modem?

Thanks

---

°Mike°

Just install the new modem, and set it as your default
for connections.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:54:25 +0000 (UTC), in
<c00uu1$mu$(E-Mail Removed)>
malcomsmith scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance