Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hard drive wipe clean

hard drive wipe clean

John Baiamonte

Hi,
I'm trying to help a friend with an older HP computer ( 4 or 5 years)
running Windows 98. I must wipe his hard drive clean and reload windows. At
present he cannot boot up. I have a copy of Maxblast 3.0 and whatever
software comes with the new Westeren Ditigal hard drives. Can either of
these be used to format the HP hard drive? Does anyone know what brand of
hard drives HP was using 4 or 5 years ago? I have not seen his computer yet,
but I'm trying to get a head start before Sunday. Any help will be most
grateful.
John

ICee

John Baiamonte wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to help a friend with an older HP computer ( 4 or 5
> years) running Windows 98. I must wipe his hard drive clean and
> reload windows. At present he cannot boot up. I have a copy of
> Maxblast 3.0 and whatever software comes with the new Westeren
> Ditigal hard drives. Can either of these be used to format the HP
> hard drive? Does anyone know what brand of hard drives HP was using
> 4 or 5 years ago? I have not seen his computer yet, but I'm trying to
> get a head start before Sunday. Any help will be most grateful.
> John

You need to have a boot disk (floppy), so you can format the drive and
run setup from the Windows CD. You can make a boot disk for whatever
version of Windows you need by downloading here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Unk

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:42:14 GMT, "John Baiamonte" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
> I'm trying to help a friend with an older HP computer ( 4 or 5 years)
>running Windows 98. I must wipe his hard drive clean and reload windows. At
>present he cannot boot up. I have a copy of Maxblast 3.0 and whatever
>software comes with the new Westeren Ditigal hard drives. Can either of
>these be used to format the HP hard drive? Does anyone know what brand of
>hard drives HP was using 4 or 5 years ago? I have not seen his computer yet,
>but I'm trying to get a head start before Sunday. Any help will be most
>grateful.
> John

Before you start, create a boot disk with cd-rom support.
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, "Add/Remove Programs",
click the tab, "Startup Disk", click the "Create Disk" button.
You can also download one here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
Use the boot floppy to format the hard drive.

The hard drive is probably a Quantum "Big Foot"
HP and Compaq used them in that time frame.

When you're done, you'll probably need drivers specific to the HP machine.
Download them from the HP site. Have the make & model handy.
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html