Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > strange e-mails

Reply
Thread Tools

strange e-mails

 
 
Phil B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
Evening all,
I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
regular basis (including today).

the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
have sent e-mails to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ect.....ect and that they have
failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.

I check my sent items box and, nothing.

any help, much appreciated.

Phil.

--
The Vatican is considering making St Isidore of Seville - who created the
world's first database 1,400 years ago - the patron saint of the Internet.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
In article <c00jis$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)VE-
ME.freeserve.co.uk says...
> Evening all,
> I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
> hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
> definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
> regular basis (including today).
>
> the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
> have sent e-mails to (E-Mail Removed) ect.....ect and that they have
> failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.
>
> I check my sent items box and, nothing.


Your email address is probably being used to send spam. Not by you,
though.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
The virus is on some else's computer.
They have your name in their address book.
The virus is using their address book, and your address, to send
itself to others in the book.

The one absolute truth is that if you are getting these messages, then
the virus is not coming from you.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:40:33 -0000, "Phil B"
<(E-Mail Removed)-ME.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Evening all,
>I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
>hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
>definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
>regular basis (including today).
>
>the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
>have sent e-mails to (E-Mail Removed) ect.....ect and that they have
>failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.
>
>I check my sent items box and, nothing.
>
>any help, much appreciated.
>
>Phil.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Starla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
This (spamer using my address) is the same exact explanation I was given by
my server when I received one of these returned mail's and asked them about
it.


"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <c00jis$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)VE-
> ME.freeserve.co.uk says...
> > Evening all,
> > I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
> > hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
> > definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
> > regular basis (including today).
> >
> > the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
> > have sent e-mails to (E-Mail Removed) ect.....ect and that they

have
> > failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.
> >
> > I check my sent items box and, nothing.

>
> Your email address is probably being used to send spam. Not by you,
> though.
>
> --
> Hywel I do not eat quiche
> http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
> http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php



 
Reply With Quote
 
Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
It's not spammer using your address.
The worm (virus) residing on someone else's system is getting your
address from their address book.
The worm then uses your address to send replicates of itself to other
addresses in the address book.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:40:20 -0500, "Starla" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This (spamer using my address) is the same exact explanation I was given by
>my server when I received one of these returned mail's and asked them about
>it.
>
>
>"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> In article <c00jis$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)VE-
>> ME.freeserve.co.uk says...
>> > Evening all,
>> > I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
>> > hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
>> > definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
>> > regular basis (including today).
>> >
>> > the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
>> > have sent e-mails to (E-Mail Removed) ect.....ect and that they

>have
>> > failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.
>> >
>> > I check my sent items box and, nothing.

>>
>> Your email address is probably being used to send spam. Not by you,
>> though.
>>
>> --
>> Hywel I do not eat quiche
>> http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
>> http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Christopher R. Mohr Sr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
Hi Phil,

The first internet account I had was with pe.net, a provider owned and
operated by the Press-Enterprise, a newspaper here in southern California.
They were pretty good for about a year or so, and then the usual problems
came up when a server bites off more than it can chew. I started getting
that same kind of insane mail. It was sporadic at first and then became more
frequent until it was the only e-mail I was getting. It just kept coming,
one piece of crap after another after another. All day long. I can't
imagine how they did it, but they actually overwhelmed my incoming e-mail
and prevented it from getting to me.

I called my server and my mind boggled when the young woman there said that
nothing could be done about it until they caught whomever was doing it and
put them in jail. Needless to say, I cancelled my account with pe.net.

I hope your situation doesn't become that serious.


"Phil B" <(E-Mail Removed)-ME.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c00jis$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Evening all,
> I know the new mydoom virus is rife at the moment, but is it possible to
> hide its self on my pc undetected, even tho I have the latest virus
> definitions, and updates from Norton. and have scanned my system on a
> regular basis (including today).
>
> the reason I ask is that I am receiving an awful lot of e-mails saying I
> have sent e-mails to (E-Mail Removed) ect.....ect and that they

have
> failed due to a virus notification....balata, blaaaaa ect ect.
>
> I check my sent items box and, nothing.
>
> any help, much appreciated.
>
> Phil.
>
> --
> The Vatican is considering making St Isidore of Seville - who created the
> world's first database 1,400 years ago - the patron saint of the Internet.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Norm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004

" Christopher R. Mohr Sr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ghVUb.20304$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Phil,
>
> The first internet account I had was with pe.net, a provider owned and
> operated by the Press-Enterprise, a newspaper here in southern California.
> They were pretty good for about a year or so, and then the usual problems
> came up when a server bites off more than it can chew. I started getting
> that same kind of insane mail. It was sporadic at first and then became

more
> frequent until it was the only e-mail I was getting. It just kept coming,
> one piece of crap after another after another. All day long. I can't
> imagine how they did it, but they actually overwhelmed my incoming e-mail
> and prevented it from getting to me.
>
> I called my server and my mind boggled when the young woman there said

that
> nothing could be done about it until they caught whomever was doing it and
> put them in jail. Needless to say, I cancelled my account with pe.net.


snip, snip

My ISP screens and identifies viruses, adds this info to the header, THEN
forwards to my inbox.

Unconscionable!

Norm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AVG Email Scanner activating at strange times with strange IP addresses dennispublic@hotmail.com Computer Support 1 08-26-2006 04:27 AM
Strange Wireless Network problem Sarah Kingswell Wireless Networking 1 02-15-2005 06:24 PM
strange problem John Wireless Networking 4 02-14-2005 05:40 PM
Strange taskbar behaviour (notification area) Falcon Wireless Networking 0 08-17-2004 09:03 AM
Question About Strange 'C' Code Syntax ( Well strange to me anyway ) Harvey Twyman C Programming 8 10-25-2003 05:54 AM



Advertisments