Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to setup AVG Personal Scanner with POP3 Mail

Reply
Thread Tools

How to setup AVG Personal Scanner with POP3 Mail

 
 
*** HAWK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
I am trying to setup AVG to automatically scan all incoming & outcoming
mail - it works fine for my default ISP mail account, but not for my
secondary POP3 account.

my settings for these are :
mail.gavk.co.uk (pop host)
mail.gavk.co.uk (smtp host)

Obviously I have entered the username & password correctly - but I don't
have any idea of how to set it automatically scan the emails from this pop3
account -
eg.. basically I want AVG to scan the email and display the following at the
bottom of each email
"Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 7.0.211 / Virus Database: 261.8.2 - Release Date: 03/02/2004"

Any ideas how I do this - ps i am using AVG 7.0.2.11
Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
Why would you want to do that? AVG can't certify that
mail is virus free, and if your system is clean, adding
a stupid advertising signature to the end of your mail
is a pointless exercise.


On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:54:01 -0000, in
<4022e5ad$0$48$(E-Mail Removed)>
*** HAWK scrawled:


<snip>

>eg.. basically I want AVG to scan the email and display the following at the
>bottom of each email
>"Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 7.0.211 / Virus Database: 261.8.2 - Release Date: 03/02/2004"
>
>Any ideas how I do this - ps i am using AVG 7.0.2.11
>Thanks
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
*** HAWK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free? I would've
thought that would be a good point?
But your views are welcomed.
"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would you want to do that? AVG can't certify that
> mail is virus free, and if your system is clean, adding
> a stupid advertising signature to the end of your mail
> is a pointless exercise.
>
>
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:54:01 -0000, in
> <4022e5ad$0$48$(E-Mail Removed)>
> *** HAWK scrawled:
>
>
> <snip>
>
> >eg.. basically I want AVG to scan the email and display the following at

the
> >bottom of each email
> >"Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
> >Version: 7.0.211 / Virus Database: 261.8.2 - Release Date: 03/02/2004"
> >
> >Any ideas how I do this - ps i am using AVG 7.0.2.11
> >Thanks
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
<40237512$0$9757$(E-Mail Removed)>
*** HAWK scrawled:

>Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free?


That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is
crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus
free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?

>I would've thought that would be a good point?


No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
more that free advertising for Grisoft.

>But your views are welcomed.
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why would you want to do that? AVG can't certify that
>> mail is virus free, and if your system is clean, adding
>> a stupid advertising signature to the end of your mail
>> is a pointless exercise.
>>
>>
>> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:54:01 -0000, in
>> <4022e5ad$0$48$(E-Mail Removed)>
>> *** HAWK scrawled:
>>
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> >eg.. basically I want AVG to scan the email and display the following at

>the
>> >bottom of each email
>> >"Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>> >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> >Version: 7.0.211 / Virus Database: 261.8.2 - Release Date: 03/02/2004"
>> >
>> >Any ideas how I do this - ps i am using AVG 7.0.2.11
>> >Thanks
>> >

>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance
>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert de Brus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2004
X-No-Archive: Yes

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
|| <40237512$0$9757$(E-Mail Removed)>
|| *** HAWK scrawled:
||
||| Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free?
||
|| That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is

Can any av product? Of course not.

|| crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus

I installed the free version on a friends PC the other day and found 700
infected files that McAfee didn't pick up. If AVG is crap, what is McAfee?

|| free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
|| infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?
||
||| I would've thought that would be a good point?
||
|| No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
|| more that free advertising for Grisoft.

And you have proof of this, of course?

||
||| But your views are welcomed.
||| "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
||| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
|||| Why would you want to do that? AVG can't certify that
|||| mail is virus free, and if your system is clean, adding
|||| a stupid advertising signature to the end of your mail
|||| is a pointless exercise.
||||
||||
|||| On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:54:01 -0000, in
|||| <4022e5ad$0$48$(E-Mail Removed)>
|||| *** HAWK scrawled:
||||
||||
|||| <snip>
||||
||||| eg.. basically I want AVG to scan the email and display the
||||| following at
||| the
||||| bottom of each email
||||| "Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
||||| Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (http://www.grisoft.com).
||||| Version: 7.0.211 / Virus Database: 261.8.2 - Release Date:
||||| 03/02/2004"
|||||
||||| Any ideas how I do this - ps i am using AVG 7.0.2.11
||||| Thanks
|||||
||||
|||| --
|||| Basic computer maintenance
|||| http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
|||
||
|| --
|| Basic computer maintenance
|| http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Wade Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004
Howdy!

"*** HAWK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40237512$0$9757$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free? I would've
> thought that would be a good point?


And how would that do that?

All it says is actually "I didn't intentionally send a
virus-infected message." How about a virus that AVG didn't know about?

Think it through carefully - all that does is scream "I'm an idiot
that can't think!" to people who DO think.

> But your views are welcomed.


De nada.

RwP


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Wade Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004
Howdy!

"Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
news:XbUUb.989$(E-Mail Removed)...
> X-No-Archive: Yes
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
> || On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
> || <40237512$0$9757$(E-Mail Removed)>
> || *** HAWK scrawled:
> ||
> ||| Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free?
> ||
> || That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is
>
> Can any av product? Of course not.


This is true. But it's not a McAfee or Norton signature the guy is
wanting to append ...

>
> || crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus
>
> I installed the free version on a friends PC the other day and found 700
> infected files that McAfee didn't pick up. If AVG is crap, what is McAfee?


Second hand crap? Yah, it sucks.

>
> || free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
> || infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?
> ||
> ||| I would've thought that would be a good point?
> ||
> || No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
> || more that free advertising for Grisoft.
>
> And you have proof of this, of course?


Grisoft won't fix the signature.

And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.

What other proof do you need?

Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep pointing
out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's appendage.

RwP


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert de Brus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004
X-No-Archive: Yes

In news:c01ob4$11rue5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
Ralph Wade Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| Howdy!
||
|| "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
|| news:XbUUb.989$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| X-No-Archive: Yes
|||
||| In news:(E-Mail Removed),
||| °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
||||| On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
||||| <40237512$0$9757$(E-Mail Removed)>
||||| *** HAWK scrawled:
|||||
|||||| Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free?
|||||
||||| That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is
|||
||| Can any av product? Of course not.
||
|| This is true. But it's not a McAfee or Norton signature the
|| guy is wanting to append ...
||
|||
||||| crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus
|||
||| I installed the free version on a friends PC the other day and
||| found 700 infected files that McAfee didn't pick up. If AVG is
||| crap, what is McAfee?
||
|| Second hand crap? Yah, it sucks.
||
|||
||||| free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
||||| infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?
|||||
|||||| I would've thought that would be a good point?
|||||
||||| No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
||||| more that free advertising for Grisoft.
|||
||| And you have proof of this, of course?
||
|| Grisoft won't fix the signature.
||
|| And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.
||
|| What other proof do you need?
||
|| Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep
|| pointing out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's appendage.

But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as was
attested.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph Wade Phillips
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2004
Howdy!

"Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
news:Cx4Vb.1014$(E-Mail Removed)...
> X-No-Archive: Yes
>
> In news:c01ob4$11rue5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
> Ralph Wade Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
> || Howdy!
> ||
> || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
> || news:XbUUb.989$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ||| X-No-Archive: Yes
> |||
> ||| In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> ||| °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> typed


> ||||| No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
> ||||| more that free advertising for Grisoft.
> |||
> ||| And you have proof of this, of course?
> ||
> || Grisoft won't fix the signature.
> ||
> || And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.
> ||
> || What other proof do you need?
> ||
> || Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep
> || pointing out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's appendage.
>
> But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as was
> attested.


Intentionally is NOT purposely.

They might not have intended to do a broken .SIG, but they PURPOSE
to not fix it. I mean, what, one byte missing? It's not like it would
break everything TO fix it ...

If you accidentally park on the neighbor's water hose, that's an
accident.

When you won't move the car, that's purposeful.

RwP


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert de Brus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2004
X-No-Archive: Yes

In news:c03sbt$12r00u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
Ralph Wade Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| Howdy!
||
|| "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
|| news:Cx4Vb.1014$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| X-No-Archive: Yes
|||
||| In news:c01ob4$11rue5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de,
||| Ralph Wade Phillips <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
||||| Howdy!
|||||
||||| "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
||||| news:XbUUb.989$(E-Mail Removed)...
|||||| X-No-Archive: Yes
||||||
|||||| In news:(E-Mail Removed),
|||||| °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
||
|||||||| No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
|||||||| more that free advertising for Grisoft.
||||||
|||||| And you have proof of this, of course?
|||||
||||| Grisoft won't fix the signature.
|||||
||||| And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.
|||||
||||| What other proof do you need?
|||||
||||| Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep
||||| pointing out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's
||||| appendage.
|||
||| But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as
||| was attested.
||
|| Intentionally is NOT purposely.
||
|| They might not have intended to do a broken .SIG, but they
|| PURPOSE to not fix it. I mean, what, one byte missing? It's not
|| like it would break everything TO fix it ...
||
|| If you accidentally park on the neighbor's water hose,
|| that's an accident.
||
|| When you won't move the car, that's purposeful.
||
|| RwP

While I agree they should fix the sig, my interpretation of purpose is a
little different..

To say they put the sig as is purposly is to say that they put it there
intentionally, whether they refuse to fix it or not.

I'm talking about the common usage of the word today, not the original usage
from, for example, the 15th or even 19th century.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get live advice, 24X7, from Personal Counselors, Personal Development Coaches and Spiritual sunset Digital Photography 1 09-10-2007 09:47 PM
AVG e-mail scanner Trouble Computer Support 5 11-23-2004 04:35 AM
AVG anti-virus changes my pop3 settings JC Computer Support 9 07-08-2004 09:22 PM
AVG E-Mail Scanner Fredzep Computer Support 1 02-06-2004 02:08 AM
personal.htm & personal.xls in Macro Rasoul Khoshravan Azar MCSE 0 01-23-2004 05:14 PM



Advertisments