Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Missing font 'already installed'

Missing font 'already installed'

Terry Pinnell

Second posting, as the first seems to have vanished into electronic
limbo.

-------

I just noticed on an old PC of mine, running under W95, that the font
MS Serif is not available in various applications' drop-down list. Yet
the file is in the \windows\fonts folder.

Following Help's instructions on how to add a new font comes quickly
to a dead end, as a message appears telling me it's already installed.

Not sure if this is a quirk special to W95, or more general, but would
appreciate any help please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Boomer

Terry Pinnell, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Second posting, as the first seems to have vanished into
> electronic limbo.
>
> -------
>
> I just noticed on an old PC of mine, running under W95, that the
> font MS Serif is not available in various applications'
> drop-down list. Yet the file is in the \windows\fonts folder.
>
> Following Help's instructions on how to add a new font comes
> quickly to a dead end, as a message appears telling me it's
> already installed.
>
> Not sure if this is a quirk special to W95, or more general, but
> would appreciate any help please.

Hi

You can find the replies here:

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Terry Pinnell

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>You can find the replies here:
>
>http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Many thanks. As it happens, I decided to try that before seeing your
post, and found yours and Mike's. Studying them now.

-------

OT:
For those interested in this sort of newsreader quirk, it looks like
my Agent newsreader was rejecting that post based on its subject. I
checked my filters and found one that's been there since I pasted it
in from some expert source maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I couldn't properly
interpret - it's a black art to me.

subject: %{[ A-Z0-9]*[%$]+[ A-Z0-9]*}

But I disabled it anyway and downloaded a chunk of sample headers
again. Agent now downloaded a reply (Boomer's). Seems to confirm my
suspicion that those single quotes in my subject were somehow
responsible. But darned if I can see precisely how...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK