Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Video editing advice needed

Video editing advice needed

*** HAWK

Hi,
A friend of mine needs advice concerning video editing.
He has a number of VHS cassette tapes that he has converted to digital video
using a Pinnacle Studio product - I believe he is using "Pinnacle Studio
Moviebox DV Studio" - its an external USB box that he connects via his
laptop.

Basically he needs to convert analog video to digital video which can be
exported to CD or DVD, to be passed onto somebody for further editing &
manipulation.

At the moment he seems to be having problems running out of space, I'm not
sure how big his HDD, but does anyone have any advice in regards to what
type of format & codecs should be used.

Any dedicated urls would be also be handy.
Thanks

Boomer

"*** HAWK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4021559b$0$21308$(E-Mail Removed) :

> Hi,
> A friend of mine needs advice concerning video editing.
> He has a number of VHS cassette tapes that he has converted to
> digital video using a Pinnacle Studio product - I believe he is
> using "Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV Studio" - its an external USB
> box that he connects via his laptop.
>
> Basically he needs to convert analog video to digital video which
> can be exported to CD or DVD, to be passed onto somebody for
> further editing & manipulation.
>
> At the moment he seems to be having problems running out of space,
> I'm not sure how big his HDD, but does anyone have any advice in
> regards to what type of format & codecs should be used.
>
> Any dedicated urls would be also be handy.
> Thanks

Hi

As I mentioned to ohGr earlier, you might want to ask at
these groups also.

uk.media.dvd
rec.video.dvd.tech
rec.video.dvd.players
alt.video.dvd
alt.video.dvd.software
alt.video.dvd.tech
alt.video.dvdr

--
Google is your friend.

David A. Seiver

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:25:35 -0000, "*** HAWK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>A friend of mine needs advice concerning video editing.
>He has a number of VHS cassette tapes that he has converted to digital video
>using a Pinnacle Studio product - I believe he is using "Pinnacle Studio
>Moviebox DV Studio" - its an external USB box that he connects via his
>laptop.
>
>Basically he needs to convert analog video to digital video which can be
>exported to CD or DVD, to be passed onto somebody for further editing &
>manipulation.
>
>At the moment he seems to be having problems running out of space, I'm not
>sure how big his HDD, but does anyone have any advice in regards to what
>type of format & codecs should be used.
>
>Any dedicated urls would be also be handy.
>Thanks

For best compression/quality, I would go with Windows Media WMF, ASF,
and WMV formats,