Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Virus protection!

Virus protection!

Craven Birds

The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem over-the-top
IMO.

I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
cannot be infected! Is this true?

Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under the
impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's been
discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Craven Birds

"Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvq4v7$mjs9c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem over-the-top
> IMO.
>
> I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
> cannot be infected! Is this true?
>
> Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under the
> impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's been
> discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about Virus
myths.
--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

DC

Craven Birds wrote in <bvq5ih$vdlu6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:

> "Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bvq4v7$mjs9c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem over-the-top
>> IMO.

>> I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
>> cannot be infected! Is this true?

>> Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under the
>> impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's been
>> discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

> Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about Virus
> myths.

Thanks for sharing. *sigh*

--
DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

Craven Birds

"DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Craven Birds wrote in <bvq5ih$vdlu6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:
>
> > "Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bvq4v7$mjs9c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >> The panic that seems to be generated by virus alerts etc seem

over-the-top
> >> IMO.

> >> I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your

computer
> >> cannot be infected! Is this true?

> >> Please do not refer me to a virus protection company, I'm also under

the
> >> impression that these companies can only prevent a virus after it's

been
> >> discovered although nowadays they are usually quick of the mark.

> > Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about Virus
> > myths.

> Thanks for sharing. *sigh*

Didn't give a link because I don't want to have a flame war with anyone, who
might disagree with the info from the site!

Here's the link:

http://www.stiller.com/myths.htm

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Stickems

Your statement is not true. There are many other ways that your PC can
become infected.
1) Someone could gain entry (Hack) through an open software port.
2) There could be a virus in one of your programs, however it was obtained.
e.g. disk or by downloading.
3) Some web sites have malicious coding that will infect your computer.
4) There must be other ways as well. I'm sure someone will come up with
them.

"Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvq4v7$mjs9c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I've always thought that if you do NOT open an attachment. Your computer
> cannot be infected! Is this true?

Craven Birds

"Stickems" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:br6Ub.441$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your statement is not true. There are many other ways that your PC can
> become infected.
> 1) Someone could gain entry (Hack) through an open software port.
> 2) There could be a virus in one of your programs, however it was

obtained.
> e.g. disk or by downloading.
> 3) Some web sites have malicious coding that will infect your computer.
> 4) There must be other ways as well. I'm sure someone will come up with
> them.

I prefer to believe a reliable source. Where's this info come from?

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Ghostmaster

Craven Birds wrote:
: "Stickems" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:br6Ub.441$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: I prefer to believe a reliable source. Where's this info come from?

What do you consider reliable?

-----
Registered Linux user #334297
It's illegal not having Linux installed.

Bill Purvis

Thanks for the link
Bill

"Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvq8h0$v65ou$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "DC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Craven Birds wrote in <bvq5ih$vdlu6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:
> >
> > > "Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bvq4v7$mjs9c$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> over-the-top

> computer

under
> the

it's
> been

> > > Forget the above! Found a site that gives down to Earth info about

Virus
> > > myths.

> > Thanks for sharing. *sigh*

> Didn't give a link because I don't want to have a flame war with

anyone, who
> might disagree with the info from the site!
>
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.stiller.com/myths.htm
>
> --
> Craven Birds
>
> Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
> http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
> http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Stickems

I checked the link that you gave and my impression of it was that it was
written a very long time ago. It is no longer true that most viruses come
from infected boot sectors. Today, and for some years now, they come from
infected email attachments.

news:bvr23c$vo94p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

Stickems wrote:
: I checked the link that you gave and my impression of it was that it
: was written a very long time ago. It is no longer true that most
: viruses come from infected boot sectors. Today, and for some years
: now, they come from infected email attachments.

Don't forget to mention that the link also is to a Website for a anti-virus
software. They still have to make "their" product look good. Plus act like
they know something better than the next anti-virus software company on the
Internet. Your right about the attachments. But social engineering plays a
major role it also. Anti-Virus software can only be as good as the software
company who makes it. Plus do as good as it can as long as the user allows
it too. So you can have the best Anti-Virus software there is on the
market. But, if you don't keep it upgraded, run scans, and heed the virus
warnings online, then you just wasted money, ruined many machines, and
possibly made a few enemies.