Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Died: Motherboard or Power Supply? Help!

PC Died: Motherboard or Power Supply? Help!

Gregg Fowler

Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle school
class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was in another
room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I tried to boot the
computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all peripherals and still
nothing. I opened the case and still get power to the motherboard, but the
computer will not boot nothing. When I push the power button I get the LED's
to light on the motherboard and the fans (case, processor, and video card)
jump a bit, but never spin.

I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer combo. I
will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the motherboard and
processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a good troubleshooting
technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My current configuration is a
Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800 processer. The power supply
is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the
power supply is not the problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply
to check the current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to
whether or not I am considering the right course of action.

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

Dan Shea

Hi Gregg,

My money is on the power supply. Does the PS still make the fan
noises it used to?

As far as troubleshooting techniques goes, you're on the right track.
I'd check the power connections, then swap in a new PS. Don't let it
give power to the motherboard for *too* long wtihout the fans
spinning...

Cheers,
dan

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:38:22 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle school
>class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was in another
>room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I tried to boot the
>computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all peripherals and still
>nothing. I opened the case and still get power to the motherboard, but the
>computer will not boot nothing. When I push the power button I get the LED's
>to light on the motherboard and the fans (case, processor, and video card)
>jump a bit, but never spin.
>
>I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
>problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
>considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer combo. I
>will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the motherboard and
>processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a good troubleshooting
>technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My current configuration is a
>Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800 processer. The power supply
>is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the
>power supply is not the problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply
>to check the current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to
>whether or not I am considering the right course of action.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Gregg

ICee

Gregg Fowler wrote:
> Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle
> school class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was
> in another room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I
> tried to boot the computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all
> peripherals and still nothing. I opened the case and still get power
> to the motherboard, but the computer will not boot nothing. When I
> push the power button I get the LED's to light on the motherboard and
> the fans (case, processor, and video card) jump a bit, but never spin.

The fact that the case fan is not spinning up points to a power supply
problem.

> I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
> problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
> considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer
> combo. I will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the
> motherboard and processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a
> good troubleshooting technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My
> current configuration is a Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon
> XP 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
> motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
> problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
> current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
> not I am considering the right course of action.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gregg

That's how I would troubleshoot it. PSU first, then if that doesn't fix
it (and the case fan(s) spin), and there are no beeps from the MB when
powering up, the CPU would be next, then the MB.

Blinky the Shark

Gregg Fowler wrote:

> 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
> motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
> problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
> current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
> not I am considering the right course of action.

Your plan sounds good, Gregg. I had similar issues last summer, and
that's exactly what I did. It did turn out to be the mobo. I don't
know the AK31, but you may have to upgrade memory, too, depending on
that mobo and the replacement (if you do end up with a new mobo). If
you want to keep the cost down and you like Shuttle, you might want to
look at the AK47. I'm running one of those with *my* Athlon 2400+.
Picked it up at newegg.com for either $52 or $54US.

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
Stolen SCO Code: http://snipurl.com/stolen

Gregg Fowler

No, fans don't start spinning, they just kick and stop. Never makes a
complete rotation.

"Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gregg,
>
> My money is on the power supply. Does the PS still make the fan
> noises it used to?
>
> As far as troubleshooting techniques goes, you're on the right track.
> I'd check the power connections, then swap in a new PS. Don't let it
> give power to the motherboard for *too* long wtihout the fans
> spinning...
>
> Cheers,
> dan
>
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:38:22 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle

school
> >class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was in another
> >room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I tried to boot the
> >computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all peripherals and still
> >nothing. I opened the case and still get power to the motherboard, but

the
> >computer will not boot nothing. When I push the power button I get the

LED's
> >to light on the motherboard and the fans (case, processor, and video

card)
> >jump a bit, but never spin.
> >
> >I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
> >problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
> >considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer combo. I
> >will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the motherboard

and
> >processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a good

troubleshooting
> >technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My current configuration is

> >Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800 processer. The power

supply
> >is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the
> >power supply is not the problem. I don't currently have a spare power

supply
> >to check the current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to
> >whether or not I am considering the right course of action.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Gregg

Gregg Fowler

Thanks. Hopefully, it is the power supply. I was really happy with what I
had performance wise.

Gregg

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Gregg Fowler wrote:
>
> > 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
> > motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
> > problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
> > current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
> > not I am considering the right course of action.

> Your plan sounds good, Gregg. I had similar issues last summer, and
> that's exactly what I did. It did turn out to be the mobo. I don't
> know the AK31, but you may have to upgrade memory, too, depending on
> that mobo and the replacement (if you do end up with a new mobo). If
> you want to keep the cost down and you like Shuttle, you might want to
> look at the AK47. I'm running one of those with *my* Athlon 2400+.
> Picked it up at newegg.com for either $52 or $54US.
>
> --
> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
> Stolen SCO Code: http://snipurl.com/stolen

Randy

I agree with Dan. It is probablyy the power supply.

One way to check is to hook up a voltmeter to one of the power leads coming
out of the PS.
If you get 5 V DC(red) or 12 V DC(yellow) then PS is probably having a
problem on the
'Power Good' line going to the motherboard. If no 5V or 12V, PS is
definitely bad.

In either instance, replace the Power Supply (no DC or no Power Good).

Motherboard requires a voltage on the Power Good led to initiate boot up
sequence.

"Gregg Fowler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, fans don't start spinning, they just kick and stop. Never makes a
> complete rotation.
>

> "Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Gregg,
> >
> > My money is on the power supply. Does the PS still make the fan
> > noises it used to?
> >
> > As far as troubleshooting techniques goes, you're on the right track.
> > I'd check the power connections, then swap in a new PS. Don't let it
> > give power to the motherboard for *too* long wtihout the fans
> > spinning...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > dan
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:38:22 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle

> school
> > >class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was in

another
> > >room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I tried to boot

the
> > >computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all peripherals and

still
> > >nothing. I opened the case and still get power to the motherboard, but

> the
> > >computer will not boot nothing. When I push the power button I get the

> LED's
> > >to light on the motherboard and the fans (case, processor, and video

> card)
> > >jump a bit, but never spin.
> > >
> > >I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
> > >problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
> > >considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer combo.

> > >will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the

motherboard
> and
> > >processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a good

> troubleshooting
> > >technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My current configuration

is
> > >Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800 processer. The power

> supply
> > >is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if

the
> > >power supply is not the problem. I don't currently have a spare power

> supply
> > >to check the current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to
> > >whether or not I am considering the right course of action.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >Gregg

Randy

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm

In case you want to get into some details on how a PS works.
Probably not, but is always good to understand the thing that
can fry your equipment.

"Gregg Fowler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, fans don't start spinning, they just kick and stop. Never makes a
> complete rotation.
>

> "Dan Shea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Gregg,
> >
> > My money is on the power supply. Does the PS still make the fan
> > noises it used to?
> >
> > As far as troubleshooting techniques goes, you're on the right track.
> > I'd check the power connections, then swap in a new PS. Don't let it
> > give power to the motherboard for *too* long wtihout the fans
> > spinning...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > dan
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:38:22 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >Last night I was burning a CD from an audio book supply for my middle

> school
> > >class to listen to (I'm a teacher) and my PC died while I was in

another
> > >room. The PC lost shut down completely with no power. I tried to boot

the
> > >computer again and I got nothing. Disconnected all peripherals and

still
> > >nothing. I opened the case and still get power to the motherboard, but

> the
> > >computer will not boot nothing. When I push the power button I get the

> LED's
> > >to light on the motherboard and the fans (case, processor, and video

> card)
> > >jump a bit, but never spin.
> > >
> > >I am not sure whether this is a motherboard/processor or power supply
> > >problem. Anyone have experience with a similar problem. What I am
> > >considering is ordering a power supply and motherboard processer combo.

> > >will try the power supply first if it works, I'll return the

motherboard
> and
> > >processer. Anyone have any input on whether this is a good

> troubleshooting
> > >technique or if I am in the wrong ball park. My current configuration

is
> > >Shuttle AK 31 Motherboard with an Athlon XP 1800 processer. The power

> supply
> > >is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if

the
> > >power supply is not the problem. I don't currently have a spare power

> supply
> > >to check the current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to
> > >whether or not I am considering the right course of action.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance,
> > >Gregg

Dan Shea

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 06:24:38 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No, fans don't start spinning, they just kick and stop. Never makes a
>complete rotation.

I stand by my original guess..

Cheers,
dan

Kenneth

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 06:26:44 -0600, "Gregg Fowler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks. Hopefully, it is the power supply. I was really happy with what I
>had performance wise.
>
>Gregg
>
>"Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> Gregg Fowler wrote:
>>
>> > 1800 processer. The power supply is 350W. Plan is to upgrade the
>> > motherboard and get an Athlon 2400 if the power supply is not the
>> > problem. I don't currently have a spare power supply to check the
>> > current configuration. I would appreciate any input as to whether or
>> > not I am considering the right course of action.

>> Your plan sounds good, Gregg. I had similar issues last summer, and
>> that's exactly what I did. It did turn out to be the mobo. I don't
>> know the AK31, but you may have to upgrade memory, too, depending on
>> that mobo and the replacement (if you do end up with a new mobo). If
>> you want to keep the cost down and you like Shuttle, you might want to
>> look at the AK47. I'm running one of those with *my* Athlon 2400+.
>> Picked it up at newegg.com for either $52 or $54US.
>>
>> --
>> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
>> Stolen SCO Code: http://snipurl.com/stolen

Howdy,

I will add something that might not be relevant, but...

Months ago, I had a very similar experience with a Dell Dimension box.

Prior to my problem, it I shut the system down, and then removed and
replaced the power cord, the box would re-boot.

Then, the box died (similar description to the OP: fan kick but no
spin, MOBO lights on etc.) I pulled the power cord, and removed every
peripheral and internal card. I replaced one card at a time, each time
replacing the power cord to reboot. Nothing...

Eventually (and it took longer than you might expect <g>) I discovered
that something had changed in the functionality of the power button,
and the power cord.

Now, (for reasons that I still don't understand) if I shut down, and
then remove and replace the power cord, the system does NOT boot. It
just kicks the fans etc.

Best to all,

--
Kenneth