Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trojan Virus Attack - Help

Trojan Virus Attack - Help

Tim Elliott

I have recently managed to regain control of my PC from a virus that
attacked it back in September 2003. This is despite losing access to the
setup and live update functions within Norton Internet Security and Anti
Virus.
Once I deleted a 'mypic.jpg.exe' file from c:/windows/system32/ the Norton
package kicked back into life and identified four other files containing a
trojan virus all named the same 'Belt.exe' Norton repaired and deleted 3 of
them but could only quarantine the 4th.
This file 'BELT.EXE-2DA5E054.pf' is sat in c:/windows/prefetch/
Can someone let me know the purpose of this file and if its safe to delete?
I also have in the same directory a file 'XXXMPEG.EXE-1A45BF66.pf' I keep
having windows pop up asking if I want to download a porn dialler is this
the offending program??

Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.

Tim

Harrison

You can safely delete the entire contents of the prefetch folder, and
actually should from time to time.

You need to run a full scan after updating your antivirus software,
and also install spyware and adware scanners to remove more
troublesome nasties that aren't picked up by Norton.

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:00:34 -0000, "Tim Elliott"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have recently managed to regain control of my PC from a virus that
>attacked it back in September 2003. This is despite losing access to the
>setup and live update functions within Norton Internet Security and Anti
>Virus.
>Once I deleted a 'mypic.jpg.exe' file from c:/windows/system32/ the Norton
>package kicked back into life and identified four other files containing a
>trojan virus all named the same 'Belt.exe' Norton repaired and deleted 3 of
>them but could only quarantine the 4th.
>This file 'BELT.EXE-2DA5E054.pf' is sat in c:/windows/prefetch/
>Can someone let me know the purpose of this file and if its safe to delete?
>I also have in the same directory a file 'XXXMPEG.EXE-1A45BF66.pf' I keep
>having windows pop up asking if I want to download a porn dialler is this
>the offending program??
>
>Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.
>
>Tim

°Mike°

The items in the prefetch folder are safe to delete.

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:00:34 -0000, in
<bvp96k$oj9$(E-Mail Removed)>
Tim Elliott scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Boomer

"Tim Elliott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bvp96k$oj9$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have recently managed to regain control of my PC from a virus
> that attacked it back in September 2003. This is despite losing
> access to the setup and live update functions within Norton
> Internet Security and Anti Virus.
> Once I deleted a 'mypic.jpg.exe' file from c:/windows/system32/
> the Norton package kicked back into life and identified four other
> files containing a trojan virus all named the same 'Belt.exe'
> Norton repaired and deleted 3 of them but could only quarantine
> the 4th. This file 'BELT.EXE-2DA5E054.pf' is sat in
> c:/windows/prefetch/ Can someone let me know the purpose of this
> file and if its safe to delete? I also have in the same directory
> a file 'XXXMPEG.EXE-1A45BF66.pf' I keep having windows pop up
> asking if I want to download a porn dialler is this the offending
> program??
>
> Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.
>
> Tim

Install, at least, the first three.
Keep updated and use often.

Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
hijackers and security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

StartupList, HijackThis and CoolWebShredder
http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
http://www.merijn.org/htlogtutorial.html

Info on above and more.

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

~Other software~
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
http://www.symantec.com/homecomputin...ry/topten.html

Sultan

Tim Elliott wrote in news:bvp96k$oj9$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have recently managed to regain control of my PC from a virus that
> attacked it back in September 2003. This is despite losing access to
> the setup and live update functions within Norton Internet Security
> and Anti Virus.
> Once I deleted a 'mypic.jpg.exe' file from c:/windows/system32/ the
> Norton package kicked back into life and identified four other files
> containing a trojan virus all named the same 'Belt.exe' Norton
> repaired and deleted 3 of them but could only quarantine the 4th.
> This file 'BELT.EXE-2DA5E054.pf' is sat in c:/windows/prefetch/
> Can someone let me know the purpose of this file and if its safe to
> delete? I also have in the same directory a file
> 'XXXMPEG.EXE-1A45BF66.pf' I keep having windows pop up asking if I
> want to download a porn dialler is this the offending program??
>
> Thanks in anticipation of an intelligent response.
>
> Tim

Tim, you would be best off to wipe your drive and do a complete reinstall
to make sure your rid of all the nasties that have taken up residence and
invited their friends over. Five months is a long time to let uninvited
guests stay on your pc.
Just make sure you back up all your data files and do a thorough virus scan
on the backup media before you reintroduce it back to your PC.

Sultan

HELP needed with possible Virus/Trojan ATTACK Arawak Computer Support 5 08-21-2009 04:25 AM
Can't delete registry entry !! (suspected virus / trojan attack !) Hari Hari Mau Computer Support 23 10-25-2008 06:10 AM
"trojan horse" virus attack? MNguyen Computer Information 9 08-01-2005 01:51 PM
TROJAN VIRUS ATTACK Tipsy Tammy MCSE 11 07-28-2004 03:34 PM
Any one do a mini-few-sec digital handheld videocam for re-attack after violent road rage attack? dorothy.bradbury Digital Photography 15 07-20-2003 11:58 PM

Advertisments