Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > A Question About DSL

A Question About DSL

Pete Holland Jr.

Hey, everybody!

DSL will soon be coming to my area. Before I get too
excited, can anyone tell me what kind of modem I need to use
it? Will my existing modem work, or do I need a different
one? Also, if I have a 56K modem, why can I usually get a
5K receiving rate for data?

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.

NLWard

Most likely the phone company will rent or sell you a modem. Since you don't
know much more than I do about DSL modems, I'd suggest you use what the
phone company/provider supplies. I will say they're much, much more
expensive than going out and buying your own.

And, no, you can't use your existing modem. That goes to only 56k. Most
likely the DSL service will be a minimum of 256k.

"Pete Holland Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r0STb.83$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, everybody!
>
> DSL will soon be coming to my area. Before I get too
> excited, can anyone tell me what kind of modem I need to use
> it? Will my existing modem work, or do I need a different
> one? Also, if I have a 56K modem, why can I usually get a
> 5K receiving rate for data?
>
> Dobre utka,
> Pete Holland Jr.

Patrick

Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
> Hey, everybody!
>
> DSL will soon be coming to my area. Before I get too
> excited, can anyone tell me what kind of modem I need to use
> it? Will my existing modem work, or do I need a different
> one? Also, if I have a 56K modem, why can I usually get a
> 5K receiving rate for data?
>
> Dobre utka,
> Pete Holland Jr.

Your old 56K modem will not work with DSL, DSL is a lot faster than 56K

It is most likely that if/when you sign up for DSL with an ISP then a
suitable modem would be supplied to you by the ISP as part of the
DSL-package (check with the ISP).

As of the 56K and 5K modem speed figures, 56K refers to 56,000 bits per
second, the 5K that is reported is 5,000 bytes per second.
(1byte=8bits).

-Stephen-

The phone company will provide a ADSL modem for a fee or free
depending on what kind of plan they offer. They should also offer you
the option of a modem that connects to your computer either by USB or
a network card, Go with the network card version for better
performance. Some phone companies offer a package deal to get new
users to sign up. The package maybe include a free modem and the
waiving of any sign up fees in exchange for you to sign up for a year
or two of service. It would be worth your while to sit back a bit and
see what they have to offer. Also don't uninstall your old 56k modem.
It's a good idea to keep it around as a backup should you ever
encounter the DSL service being down. I know with my phone company
they offer DSL and dialup so I can still log on no matter which of the
services is down.

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:47:49 -0600, "Pete Holland Jr."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey, everybody!
>
>DSL will soon be coming to my area. Before I get too
>excited, can anyone tell me what kind of modem I need to use
>it? Will my existing modem work, or do I need a different
>one? Also, if I have a 56K modem, why can I usually get a
>5K receiving rate for data?
>
>Dobre utka,
>Pete Holland Jr.

Pete Holland Jr.

Hey, -Stephen- and everyone else!

I just wanted to say thank you for the info. Not only do I
have a better idea what to expect, but that question about
the 56K has been bugging me for a long time now. Thank you
again.

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.