Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Loading XP on older laptop

spawncamper

I have an older (PIII 733) laptop that I reloaded Windows 98. Since
then, I haven't been able to get all the hardware working on it. I'm
thinking of loading XP. Does anyone have an opinion about if XP will
have these drivers built in? The only reason I ask is XP was great
when I loaded it on a desktop of mine as it had all the drivers I
needed.

Has anyone tried this before? Thanks in advance.

Senti

spawncamper wrote:

> I have an older (PIII 733) laptop that I reloaded Windows 98. Since
> then, I haven't been able to get all the hardware working on it. I'm
> thinking of loading XP. Does anyone have an opinion about if XP will
> have these drivers built in? The only reason I ask is XP was great
> when I loaded it on a desktop of mine as it had all the drivers I
> needed.
>
> Has anyone tried this before? Thanks in advance.

XP is bloated with drivers. If it doesn't have the ones you need you
can always download them off the 'net. Aida32 will help you determine
exactly what hardware you have on your computer. Get it here:

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

HTH
--
~SF~

NLWard

I have a desktop machine with PIII 733 on it, and I'm running Windows XP Pro
just fine. Not as snappy as my 2.4 GHz machine, but it's not shabby either.

"spawncamper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have an older (PIII 733) laptop that I reloaded Windows 98. Since
> then, I haven't been able to get all the hardware working on it. I'm
> thinking of loading XP. Does anyone have an opinion about if XP will
> have these drivers built in? The only reason I ask is XP was great
> when I loaded it on a desktop of mine as it had all the drivers I
> needed.
>
> Has anyone tried this before? Thanks in advance.

Harrison

In all likelihood, XP will have the drivers, but you run the
checkupgradeonly switch to find out.

D:\winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly, replacing the D with the appropriate
letter for the CD-ROM drive holding the Windows XP CD-ROM. The
/checkupgradeonly switch triggers Windows XPís Setup program, which
creates a report listing compatibility issues that will exist when XP
is installed.

On 3 Feb 2004 07:52:01 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (spawncamper) wrote:

>I have an older (PIII 733) laptop that I reloaded Windows 98. Since
>then, I haven't been able to get all the hardware working on it. I'm
>thinking of loading XP. Does anyone have an opinion about if XP will
>have these drivers built in? The only reason I ask is XP was great
>when I loaded it on a desktop of mine as it had all the drivers I
>needed.
>
>Has anyone tried this before? Thanks in advance.

Plato

spawncamper wrote:

> I have an older (PIII 733) laptop that I reloaded Windows 98. Since
> then, I haven't been able to get all the hardware working on it. I'm
> thinking of loading XP. Does anyone have an opinion about if XP will
> have these drivers built in?

A shot in the dark.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

spawncamper

(E-Mail Removed) (spawncamper) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I have an older (PIII 733) laptop that I reloaded Windows 98. Since
> then, I haven't been able to get all the hardware working on it. I'm
> thinking of loading XP. Does anyone have an opinion about if XP will
> have these drivers built in? The only reason I ask is XP was great
> when I loaded it on a desktop of mine as it had all the drivers I
> needed.
>
> Has anyone tried this before? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to get XP Pro and see how it goes.