Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > problem installing printer

problem installing printer

John Davis

Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial port
LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying to
access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make sure
printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??

Bay0Wulf

"John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cOOTb.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial

port
> LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying to
> access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make

sure
> printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
> cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??

My very first thought would be a bad cable. From a personal experience I
chased a problem similar for two days when a friend suggested this.
Surprise! it worked fine. If you have a different cable it will only take a
minute. It will eliminate this possibility from the punch list of probables.

Check also that your driver is up to date

- Bay0Wulf

Rifleman

"Bay0Wulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qUOTb.167801$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cOOTb.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial

> port
> > LPT1.

isn't the PARALLEL port LPT1?

John Davis

Thanks for that.Tried another cable, still the same. Will look for an
updated driver. Cheers

"Bay0Wulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qUOTb.167801$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cOOTb.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial

> port
> > LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying

> > access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make

> sure
> > printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
> > cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??

> My very first thought would be a bad cable. From a personal experience I
> chased a problem similar for two days when a friend suggested this.
> Surprise! it worked fine. If you have a different cable it will only take

> minute. It will eliminate this possibility from the punch list of

probables.

> Check also that your driver is up to date
>
> - Bay0Wulf

John Davis

Probably, sorry about that. Either way, still dont work. Doesnt seem to be
reading the printer for some reason, on the LPT1 port.

"Rifleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvodu2$ukgph$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Bay0Wulf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qUOTb.167801$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cOOTb.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> > > appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via

serial
> > port
> > > LPT1.

> isn't the PARALLEL port LPT1?

Ant

Have you followed the correct procedure for installation? Usually with
Epsons, you install the software, shut down, switch the printer on, reboot,
the printer is detected, and then installed. Try deleting the software in
Add/ Remove software, and start again. If the printer is not detected on
reboot, you will know you have connection problems.

Ant.

"John Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cOOTb.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial

port
> LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying to
> access the printer, I keep getting a message saying "searching.... make

sure
> printer is turned on and check cables are connected". checked power and
> cables, all ok. Am using windows 98se. Any ideas please??

Patrick

John Davis wrote:
> Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via
> serial port LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok.
> But when trying to access the printer, I keep getting a message
> saying "searching.... make sure printer is turned on and check cables
> are connected". checked power and cables, all ok. Am using windows
> 98se. Any ideas please??

Plenty of documentation at this 'Epson' page;
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...ts&menuSpec=15

if any problem with above link then use; http://tinyurl.com/3y3qj

Plato

John Davis wrote:

> Can anyone please help. I am trying to install a epson 440 printer. It
> appears to have installed ok, but wont work. It is connected via serial port
> LPT1. Checked in device manager, and the port seems ok. But when trying to

lpt is a parallel port [aka Local Parallel Port ie LPT], check that your
settings are correct. Check the printer properties and make sure its set
to print NOT to a serial port but to your parallel port.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

John Davis wrote:

Did you install accd. to the docs? Or just plug it in and hope for the
best?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/