Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Home Network on XP

Home Network on XP

nonewz_is_goodnewz

Hi...

I'm trying to set up a home network with a host pc and three other nodes,
all systems running win xp home.

Anyway, when I go to 'my network places', I can see all of the nodes. When
on the host pc, I can double click and open each other node, and see the
shared files. The 3 nodes can't access the same for the host, nor can they
access the shared folders of the other nodes.

Each node can access the network printer which is connected to the host pc.

I know it's not a matter of the workgroup name, because I've double checked
that, and each node does show up when I click on 'view workgroup computers'

I hope I'm explaining this well enough to try and get some help, but what do
I have to do in order to get the nodes to see each other and to see the host
pc shared folders?

I get the following message when trying to double click on the 'my network
place' to try to open the shared folder on each:

"\\(computername) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
if you have access permissions. Access is denied"

I am the administrator on each pc. What do you think I need to do. Again,
the main or host pc is able to access each node without issue. The nodes
just can't access teh shared folders of the host or other nodes, yet all
nodes show up on individual node when clicking on 'view workgroup computers'

Thanks, in advance!

Linda

Dan Shea

Hi Linda,

Just to be clear:
- All computers can see all other computers in View Network
Computers
- One computer (the host) can access the network shares on all
other computers
- No other computers can access the network shares on any of
the other computers, including the shares on the host

Yes?

What user name(s) are you using to log on to the various computers?
How is the host set up differently than the nodes?

Cheers,
dan

>I'm trying to set up a home network with a host pc and three other nodes,
>all systems running win xp home.
>
>Anyway, when I go to 'my network places', I can see all of the nodes. When
>on the host pc, I can double click and open each other node, and see the
>shared files. The 3 nodes can't access the same for the host, nor can they
>access the shared folders of the other nodes.

>Each node can access the network printer which is connected to the host pc.
>
>I know it's not a matter of the workgroup name, because I've double checked
>that, and each node does show up when I click on 'view workgroup computers'
>
>I hope I'm explaining this well enough to try and get some help, but what do
>I have to do in order to get the nodes to see each other and to see the host
>pc shared folders?
>
>I get the following message when trying to double click on the 'my network
>place' to try to open the shared folder on each:
>
>"\\(computername) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
>this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out
>if you have access permissions. Access is denied"
>
>I am the administrator on each pc. What do you think I need to do. Again,
>the main or host pc is able to access each node without issue. The nodes
>just can't access teh shared folders of the host or other nodes, yet all
>nodes show up on individual node when clicking on 'view workgroup computers'
>
>Thanks, in advance!
>
>Linda

nonewz_is_goodnewz

Hi Dan.

Thanks.

Yes, all computers can see all other computers in the View Network
Computers...

Yes, the host computer can access the network shares of all other computers.

No other computers can access shares of any other computers, including the
host.

I'm not using any user name. For example. This laptop that I am on is one
of the nodes. I am running Windows XP home on it. I'm log into it as
usual.

I click on network computers, I can see the host computer (and other nodes
also). If I double click it, I get the message that I put in the original
post.

The host computer, to my knowledge, is not set up any differently. It may
be, but I don't know where to look. I've followed all of the netowrking
troubleshooters, and nothing in there helps, because they mostly deal with
computer or workgroup name issues, and each computer has a unique name, and
the workgroup name is not the problem.

All computers, host and others, are running XP home.

Linda

news:(E-Mail Removed)...