Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by scammers

WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by scammers

Boomer

"anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bvmld6$u1bum$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

Thanks Anthony.

BTW. Fix your clock/date. You're posting from the future.

> WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by
> scammers.
>
> Toniarts, who supply Easycleaner, the excellent registry-cleaner
> and utility app, for free, seem
> to have been squatted by scammers who want to steal $14.95 for
> membership. The scammer site is here:
> http://www.toniarts.com/index.php
>
> It is a near-mirror of the real site which is here:
>
> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm
>
> The real site is still offering free downloads.
>
> The forum of the scammer site seems to suggest that people are
> joining but are not able to download.
> Google is listing the scam site as the number-one pick, and just
> confuse things, the real site seems to have been moved recently.
> -This is probably why google is placing the scam site higher.
> I may be wrong, but it can't hurt to put a warning out.
> I am including a couple of p2p groups in the x-post as
> Easycleaner's duplicate file search is of great use to p2p users.

°Mike°

<Snipped stupid X-posting>

Where is your proof of this?

From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due
to his web host.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:09:23 -0800, in
<bvmld6$u1bum$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
anthonyberet scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

°Mike° wrote:
> <Snipped stupid X-posting>
>
> Where is your proof of this?
>
> From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due
> to his web host.

Suggest that you check out the old address, see if you can download EC free
!

Also, on his/the new site, he gives out the advise that his address needs to
be changed within EC-options.

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:09:23 -0800, in
> <bvmld6$u1bum$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> anthonyberet scrawled:
>
>> WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by
>> scammers.
>>
>> Toniarts, who supply Easycleaner, the excellent registry-cleaner and
>> utility app, for free, seem
>> to have been squatted by scammers who want to steal $14.95 for
>> membership. The scammer site is here:
>> http://www.toniarts.com/index.php
>>
>> It is a near-mirror of the real site which is here:
>>
>> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm
>>
>> The real site is still offering free downloads.
>>
>> The forum of the scammer site seems to suggest that people are
>> joining but are not able to download.
>> Google is listing the scam site as the number-one pick, and just
>> confuse things, the real site seems to have been moved recently.
>> -This is probably why google is placing the scam site higher.
>> I may be wrong, but it can't hurt to put a warning out.
>> I am including a couple of p2p groups in the x-post as Easycleaner's
>> duplicate file search is of great use to p2p users.

anthonyberet

Boomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401edb42$0$184$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> "anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bvmld6$u1bum$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> Thanks Anthony.
>
> BTW. Fix your clock/date. You're posting from the future.

Oh ****, sorry
-The truth is I have had to reformat lots of times owing to a troublesome
new mainboard.
-I guess I started to skip bits of the setup process....
I will fix my clock right now.

anthonyberet

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <Snipped stupid X-posting>
>
> Where is your proof of this?

I don't have any proof of it, like I made clear in my appropriately x-posted
message

> From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due
> to his web host.

Read it again. The scammer has taken over Toni's *old* domain
registration....

°Mike°

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:42:49 -0000, in
<bvmqsd$faeg5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
anthonyberet scrawled:

>°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <Snipped stupid X-posting>
>>
>> Where is your proof of this?
>>

>I don't have any proof of it, like I made clear in my appropriately x-posted
>message
>
>> From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due
>> to his web host.

>Read it again. The scammer has taken over Toni's *old* domain
>registration....

I only read your assertion. Toni's host (Danima) gave him free web
hosting, up until now. Quote from Toni:

"The new system is where the money goes to Danima which is no
way else related to me than 2 or 3 years ago it offered me free .com.
And have hosted it [1] for free until now."

[1] toniarts.com

I'm not sure how this makes them "squatters", or "scammers".

whois -h whois.opensrs.net www.toniarts.com

Registrant:
DANIMA Technologies Inc.
57 Athabaska Ave.
Willowdale, ON M2M 2T8
CA

Domain name: TONIARTS.COM

Administrative Contact:
Hostmaster, DANIMA http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
57 Athabaska Ave.
Willowdale, ON M2M 2T8
CA
416 223 6800 Fax: 416 223 9199

Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, DANIMA (E-Mail Removed)
57 Athabaska Ave.
Willowdale, ON M2M 2T8
CA
416 223 6800 Fax: 416 223 9199

--
Basic computer maintenance

anthonyberet

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:42:49 -0000, in
> <bvmqsd$faeg5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> anthonyberet scrawled:
>

> >°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> <Snipped stupid X-posting>
> >>
> >> Where is your proof of this?
> >>

> >I don't have any proof of it, like I made clear in my appropriately

x-posted
> >message
> >
> >> From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due
> >> to his web host.

> >Read it again. The scammer has taken over Toni's *old* domain
> >registration....

> I only read your assertion. Toni's host (Danima) gave him free web
> hosting, up until now. Quote from Toni:

Where did I assert that Toni was saying this was due to his web host?

> "The new system is where the money goes to Danima which is no
> way else related to me than 2 or 3 years ago it offered me free .com.
> And have hosted it [1] for free until now."

Where are you reading that? -It wouldn't be at www.toniarts.com would it?

At his new site (the one allowing free downloads), he says:
"www.toniarts.com is no longer my web site, my web site now and in the
future will be this (http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts)."

Then he says:
"All my of my [sic] programs are FREEWARE. Anyone can use them without any
payment whatsoever. Licence of my programs will stay in this state forever
(?)."

The question mark of course underlines my initial comment that I might be
wrong.. (read on, there is new news..)

I would say check out the forums at the 'scam' site, and see how many
postings are complaints about lost money....but funnily enough the forums
have been taken down since my first post in this thread.

As I write this post, I have looked at the forums on his new site.
There is this post from Danima:

"Our apologies to all who feel they were mislead - that was not our
intention. We offered Toni free hosting for his progams & web site in return
for a little exposure. The popularity skyrocketed over the last several
months, which is good, however, bandwidth costs hit us very hard (more than
you can imagine) in the pocketbook. We are a small organization and the
bandwidth costs hurt us deeply. We had 2 choices - one was to shut the site
completely down and take the loss. The other was to create the membership
area so that we could recover some costs and work with Toni to turn a
negative into a positive. Toni agreed to try it this way for a few months
and see what kind of response we got. The response has been somewhat
positive and we thank all those who understand and have supported us.

Unfortunately, Toni has received a lot of negative reaction from many of you
and we want to stress that he is not pulling any stunts (nor are we) - this
is the only way we can support the multitudes of downloads. We are working
on ways to add value to membership and will consider any positive
suggestions. We tried to make the pricing as reasonable as possible and if
we can come up with other revenue streams to support a free site, or a much
cheaper membership fee, then we will do so.

Toni, I have tried to contact you by email, however, it keeps bouncing back
due to the large amounts of correspondence you receive - please contact me
or send an alternative address so that we can work out a way to make
everybody happy."

There is a reply to that post purporting to be from Toni (the forum requires
no login so it could be spoofed):

"I've contacted you a week ago and yesterday I sent the same mail again.
In the mail I thanked you for your excellent services for these past years
and begged you to stop this and shutdown toniarts.com immediately and
completely."

Ah...risk your credit-card details and $14.95 (or $19.95) next time you want
Easycleaner, rather than downloading it for free if you like...
What do I care?

°Mike°

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:06:27 -0000, in
<bvmvp7$thell$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
anthonyberet scrawled:

>°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:42:49 -0000, in
>> <bvmqsd$faeg5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
>> anthonyberet scrawled:
>>

>> >°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >I don't have any proof of it, like I made clear in my appropriately

>x-posted
>> >message

>> >Read it again. The scammer has taken over Toni's *old* domain
>> >registration....

>> I only read your assertion. Toni's host (Danima) gave him free web
>> hosting, up until now. Quote from Toni:
>>

>Where did I assert that Toni was saying this was due to his web host?

I never said you asserted that Toni was saying that. Your assertion
was, and is, that Danima are squatters and scammers. I see no proof
of this.

>> "The new system is where the money goes to Danima which is no
>> way else related to me than 2 or 3 years ago it offered me free .com.
>> And have hosted it [1] for free until now."
>>

>Where are you reading that? -It wouldn't be at www.toniarts.com would it?

That would be rather stupid of me, if that's where I was reading it, now
wouldn't it?
http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/fetch...2&msgid=219051

<snip>

All of this is irrelevent to your statement that Toniarts as been
squatted by scammers. I still see no proof of this.

>Ah...risk your credit-card details and $14.95 (or $19.95) next time you want
>Easycleaner, rather than downloading it for free if you like...
>What do I care?

I already knew where to download it, officially, for free.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Sano

- "anthonyberet" <(E-Mail Removed)> - spluttered in
news:bvmq45$u8frp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

<asshat snipped>

>> anthonyberet wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.toniarts.com/index.php
>> >
>> > It is a near-mirror of the real site which is here:
>> >
>> > http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm

>> If you think that's a "near mirror", forget the spectales. You need
>> new eyeballs.
>>

> You haven't bought me the gorgeous brushed-denim egg you promised yet,
> have you?

Nice misdated troll reply, butt spaz.

--
* Would somebody