Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by scammers

WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by scammers

Richard

anthonyberet wrote:

> WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by scammers.

> Toniarts, who supply Easycleaner, the excellent registry-cleaner and
> utility app, for free, seem
> to have been squatted by scammers who want to steal $14.95 for
> membership. The scammer site is here:
> http://www.toniarts.com/index.php

> It is a near-mirror of the real site which is here:

> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm

> The real site is still offering free downloads.

> The forum of the scammer site seems to suggest that people are joining
> but are not able to download.
> Google is listing the scam site as the number-one pick, and just confuse
> things, the real site seems to have been moved recently.
> -This is probably why google is placing the scam site higher.
> I may be wrong, but it can't hurt to put a warning out.
> I am including a couple of p2p groups in the x-post as Easycleaner's
> duplicate file search is of great use to p2p users.

What you call the scammer site IS the home site and operated by toni
himself.
Apparently, he decided to go with a very cheap hosting company.
10megs for 25 bucks a year?
Only 3 e-mail accounts?
For less than that, I get 1 gig of space, 30gigs of bandwidth, unlimited
domains, unlimited subdomains, unlimited e-mail and practically unlimited
everything else.
Plus a damn good support team.

I'll gladly host his stuff for free because his stuff has been damn good and
most of it is freeware.

anthonyberet

Richard <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> anthonyberet wrote:
>
> > WARNING! Toniarts Easycleaner appears to have been squatted by

scammers.

> > Toniarts, who supply Easycleaner, the excellent registry-cleaner and
> > utility app, for free, seem
> > to have been squatted by scammers who want to steal $14.95 for
> > membership. The scammer site is here:
> > http://www.toniarts.com/index.php

> > It is a near-mirror of the real site which is here:

> > http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm

> > The real site is still offering free downloads.

> > The forum of the scammer site seems to suggest that people are joining
> > but are not able to download.
> > Google is listing the scam site as the number-one pick, and just

confuse
> > things, the real site seems to have been moved recently.
> > -This is probably why google is placing the scam site higher.
> > I may be wrong, but it can't hurt to put a warning out.
> > I am including a couple of p2p groups in the x-post as Easycleaner's
> > duplicate file search is of great use to p2p users.

> What you call the scammer site IS the home site and operated by toni
> himself.
> Apparently, he decided to go with a very cheap hosting company.
> 10megs for 25 bucks a year?
> Only 3 e-mail accounts?
> For less than that, I get 1 gig of space, 30gigs of bandwidth, unlimited
> domains, unlimited subdomains, unlimited e-mail and practically unlimited
> everything else.
> Plus a damn good support team.
>
> I'll gladly host his stuff for free because his stuff has been damn good

and
> most of it is freeware.

It seems to be that Toni has moved his site away from www.toniarts.com, but
that his former providers have reposted his site and software against his
will, and are charging for his software. I must qualify this in that the
info has come from a posting on Toni's new site, purporting to be from Toni,
but which could be spoofed.
Anyway, all toniarts products are available for free from
http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm but this isn't google's
number one pick.

-=˘;÷=-

[Snipped]

| It seems to be that Toni has moved his site away from www.toniarts.com, but
| that his former providers have reposted his site and software against his
| will, and are charging for his software. I must qualify this in that the
| info has come from a posting on Toni's new site, purporting to be from Toni,
| but which could be spoofed.
| Anyway, all toniarts products are available for free from
| http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm but this isn't google's
| number one pick.

I just visted there..seems they are not charging for the programs, but to gain access to
them(still a scam though) as like operating a toll-gate..gezzzzzzzzzz...I wonder if he
owns the domain name and could tell them to remove it or sue em.....

Patrick

-=˘;÷=- wrote:
> [Snipped]
>
>> It seems to be that Toni has moved his site away from
>> www.toniarts.com, but that his former providers have reposted his
>> site and software against his will, and are charging for his
>> software. I must qualify this in that the info has come from a
>> posting on Toni's new site, purporting to be from Toni, but which
>> could be spoofed.
>> Anyway, all toniarts products are available for free from
>> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm but this isn't
>> google's number one pick.
>>

> I just visted there..seems they are not charging for the programs,
> but to gain access to them(still a scam though) as like operating a
> toll-gate..gezzzzzzzzzz...I wonder if he owns the domain name and
> could tell them to remove it or sue em.....

A bit much, they ('Danima') are stealing the guys name as well as his
reputation !

Patrick

-=˘;÷=- wrote:
> [Snipped]
>
>> It seems to be that Toni has moved his site away from
>> www.toniarts.com, but that his former providers have reposted his
>> site and software against his will, and are charging for his
>> software. I must qualify this in that the info has come from a
>> posting on Toni's new site, purporting to be from Toni, but which
>> could be spoofed.
>> Anyway, all toniarts products are available for free from
>> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm but this isn't
>> google's number one pick.
>>

> I just visted there..seems they are not charging for the programs,
> but to gain access to them(still a scam though) as like operating a
> toll-gate..gezzzzzzzzzz...I wonder if he owns the domain name and
> could tell them to remove it or sue em.....

It's like church saying that 'Jesus is free', but you've to pay to get in
our building !

anthonyberet

-=˘;÷=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_rZTb.400$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [Snipped]
>
> | It seems to be that Toni has moved his site away from www.toniarts.com,

but
> | that his former providers have reposted his site and software against

his
> | will, and are charging for his software. I must qualify this in that the
> | info has come from a posting on Toni's new site, purporting to be from

Toni,
> | but which could be spoofed.
> | Anyway, all toniarts products are available for free from
> | http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/index.htm but this isn't

google's
> | number one pick.
> |

> I just visted there..seems they are not charging for the programs, but to

gain access to
> them(still a scam though) as like operating a toll-gate..gezzzzzzzzzz...I

wonder if he
> owns the domain name and could tell them to remove it or sue em.....

he did own the domain but it appears to have been hijacked.
AFAIK, he has asked them to remove it.
(you have to read the forums at the new site to find this stuff out).

-=˘;÷=-

| he did own the domain but it appears to have been hijacked.
| AFAIK, he has asked them to remove it.
| (you have to read the forums at the new site to find this stuff out).

Then I should think he should report the domain hijacking to the appropriate authorities
within the internet community to get all DNS pointers to redirect to his new, real site
and that would shut Damania's faked site down entirely and effectively, just as AOL did to
all ICQ titled domains...if the big guys can get it on a trademark infringement, seems
only fair that the little guy should be offered the same protections from identity theft..

anthonyberet

-=˘;÷=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UqcUb.7122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | he did own the domain but it appears to have been hijacked.
> | AFAIK, he has asked them to remove it.
> | (you have to read the forums at the new site to find this stuff out).
> |

> Then I should think he should report the domain hijacking to the

appropriate authorities
> within the internet community to get all DNS pointers to redirect to his

new, real site
> and that would shut Damania's faked site down entirely and effectively,

just as AOL did to
> all ICQ titled domains...if the big guys can get it on a trademark

infringement, seems
> only fair that the little guy should be offered the same protections from

identity theft..

Quite -but I don't think Toni has had to deal with this before.
Danima were his webspace providers before, and they apparently hosted him
for free, so I imagine its a bit complicated.
Hopefully he will come to an agreement he is happy with. (which would seem
to preclude charging).

anthonyberet

░Mike░ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:06:27 -0000, in
> <bvmvp7$thell$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> anthonyberet scrawled:
>

> >░Mike░ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 00:42:49 -0000, in
> >> <bvmqsd$faeg5$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
> >> anthonyberet scrawled:

> >x-posted

> >> I only read your assertion. Toni's host (Danima) gave him free web
> >> hosting, up until now. Quote from Toni:
> >>

> >Where did I assert that Toni was saying this was due to his web host?

> I never said you asserted that Toni was saying that. Your assertion
> was, and is, that Danima are squatters and scammers. I see no proof
> of this.

Sorry in advance -I am feeling pedantic
You said "From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due to his
web host"
You also said "I only read your assertion."

This means you said I asserted that Toni said it was due to his web host.

I didn't. (although he did).

> >> "The new system is where the money goes to Danima which is no
> >> way else related to me than 2 or 3 years ago it offered me free .com.
> >> And have hosted it [1] for free until now."
> >>

> >Where are you reading that? -It wouldn't be at www.toniarts.com would it?

> That would be rather stupid of me, if that's where I was reading it, now
> wouldn't it?
> http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/fetch...2&msgid=219051

Why would it be stupid if the old site is not dubious in some way?

Of course, in the same paragraph you quoted, Toni also said:
"My programs have and WILL always be free, you DON'T have to pay me (or
anyone else) nothing. I've never cheated people for money now or never. I
live in tight budjet nowadays being a student and such but this was never
intended."

> <snip>
>
> All of this is irrelevent to your statement that Toniarts as been
> squatted by scammers. I still see no proof of this.

Nor will you. -But then I never made that statement.
You seem to have trouble grasping simple English qualifiers like "appears to
have been", and "maybe".

> >Ah...risk your credit-card details and $14.95 (or $19.95) next time you

want
> >Easycleaner, rather than downloading it for free if you like...
> >What do I care?

> I already knew where to download it, officially, for free.

Yeah, thanks to me.... ;-p

░Mike░

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:57:45 -0000, in
<4021792f$0$11643$(E-Mail Removed)>
anthonyberet scrawled:

>░Mike░ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>> I never said you asserted that Toni was saying that. Your assertion
>> was, and is, that Danima are squatters and scammers. I see no proof
>> of this.
>>

>Sorry in advance -I am feeling pedantic

So, what's new?

>You said "From what I read, Tony Hellenius was saying this was due to his
>web host"
>You also said "I only read your assertion."

That would be "rEd", not "red". I still read your assertion as being
the rantings of a scaremonger.

>This means you said I asserted that Toni said it was due to his web host.

What planet are you from?

>I didn't. (although he did).

Nice twist. I repeat, your assertion was, and is, that Danima are
squatters and scammers. You are scaremongering, nothing more.

<snip>

>> That would be rather stupid of me, if that's where I was reading it, now
>> wouldn't it?
>> http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/fetch...2&msgid=219051

>Why would it be stupid if the old site is not dubious in some way?

It would be stupid of me to quote Toni from, what you are
asserting is a squatted host. Please wake up.

>Of course, in the same paragraph you quoted, Toni also said:
>"My programs have and WILL always be free, you DON'T have to pay me (or
>anyone else) nothing. I've never cheated people for money now or never. I
>live in tight budjet nowadays being a student and such but this was never
>intended."

So what? That doesn't make Danima squatters or scammers.

>> All of this is irrelevent to your statement that Toniarts as been
>> squatted by scammers. I still see no proof of this.
>>

>Nor will you. -But then I never made that statement.

Oh, no, you just prefaced your subject, nice and boldly: WARNING!

>You seem to have trouble grasping simple English qualifiers like "appears to
>have been", and "maybe".

On the other hand, you just seem to have trouble grasping English.
Maybe that's because you twist the words to suit your own purpose.

<snip>

>> I already knew where to download it, officially, for free.
>>

>Yeah, thanks to me.... ;-p

You wish... *not* thanks to you. Are you always this arrogant?
No need to reply; I already know the answer.

--
Basic computer maintenance