Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Shutdown

XP Shutdown

Gator

Ideas appreciated. When ready to disconnect
from ISP, I move the cursor to the shortcut for
the disconnect dialogue box. There is about a
twenty second delay before the box appears
and the only way I can disconnect is by pulling
out the line from the modem. While waiting for
the box to appear according to the system tray
icons, the computer is talking to a remote computer.
Zone Alarm shows nothing. Adaware nothing.
Don't find any viruses. No tasks running and no
processes. Wonder how one can find out to whom/what
the computer is talking to while waiting for the
disconnect dialogue box to appear. Thanks

Trax

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:15:26 -0700, "Gator" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>Ideas appreciated. When ready to disconnect
|>from ISP, I move the cursor to the shortcut for
|>the disconnect dialogue box. There is about a
|>twenty second delay before the box appears
|>and the only way I can disconnect is by pulling
|>out the line from the modem. While waiting for
|>the box to appear according to the system tray
|>icons, the computer is talking to a remote computer.
|>Zone Alarm shows nothing. Adaware nothing.
|>Don't find any viruses. No tasks running and no
|>processes. Wonder how one can find out to whom/what
|>the computer is talking to while waiting for the
|>disconnect dialogue box to appear. Thanks

This is where an external modem pays for itself. If you happen to have
an external modem just look at the send and receive lights seeing as
Zone Alarm shows nothing the lights would be proof positive.

The computer is most likely talking to the modem, seeing as your not
disconnecting the modem isn't listening.

Try this:
No clue what your OS is, so - Start > Run, type in telephon.cpl
Modems > Properties > Advanced
Under "Extra initialization commands" type in ATZ (in caps)
this command will reset your modem everytime you use it.
Just might help in your situation, and won't hurt anything if it
doesn't.

My two cents...
--
,,
( "> w "Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season.

Trax

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:15:26 -0700, "Gator" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
<Resent>

|>Ideas appreciated. When ready to disconnect
|>from ISP, I move the cursor to the shortcut for
|>the disconnect dialogue box. There is about a
|>twenty second delay before the box appears
|>and the only way I can disconnect is by pulling
|>out the line from the modem. While waiting for
|>the box to appear according to the system tray
|>icons, the computer is talking to a remote computer.
|>Zone Alarm shows nothing. Adaware nothing.
|>Don't find any viruses. No tasks running and no
|>processes. Wonder how one can find out to whom/what
|>the computer is talking to while waiting for the
|>disconnect dialogue box to appear. Thanks

This is where an external modem pays for itself. If you happen to have
an external modem just look at the send and receive lights seeing as
Zone Alarm shows nothing the lights would be proof positive.

The computer is most likely talking to the modem, seeing as your not
disconnecting the modem isn't listening.

Try this:
Start > Run, type in telephon.cpl <enter>
Modems > Properties > Advanced
Under "Extra initialization commands" type in ATZ (in caps)
this command will reset your modem everytime you use it.
Just might help in your situation, and won't hurt anything if it
doesn't.

My two cents...
--
,,
( "> w "Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season.
,(> )>| One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
( ^^ ' -Bill Peterson, football coach

°Mike°

Try this in the Start / Run box:

rasdial [Exact Connection Entry Name] /disconnect

You could also put the above in a batch file, such as:

***** <--- Begin file. Omit this line.
@ECHO OFF
RASDIAL.EXE [Exact Connection Entry Name] /DISCONNECT
CLS
EXIT
***** <--- End file. Omit this line.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:15:26 -0700, in
<bvj56g$sbudh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Gator scrawled:

>Ideas appreciated. When ready to disconnect
>from ISP, I move the cursor to the shortcut for
>the disconnect dialogue box. There is about a
>twenty second delay before the box appears
>and the only way I can disconnect is by pulling
>out the line from the modem. While waiting for
>the box to appear according to the system tray
>icons, the computer is talking to a remote computer.
>Zone Alarm shows nothing. Adaware nothing.
>Don't find any viruses. No tasks running and no
>processes. Wonder how one can find out to whom/what
>the computer is talking to while waiting for the
>disconnect dialogue box to appear. Thanks

--
Basic computer maintenance

x64 shutdown issues =?Utf-8?B?RGF2QVJlaQ==?= Microsoft Certification 4 05-31-2005 12:26 PM
Slow shutdown Bill Wireless Networking 7 01-30-2005 01:59 AM
Unexpected Shutdown Myrt Webb Wireless Networking 3 11-10-2004 02:02 AM
Unable to use "shutdown" command on the network Vals56 Wireless Networking 0 10-01-2004 07:54 PM
CIM shutdown Domain BackUp JohnNews Cisco 1 12-05-2003 02:54 AM

Advertisments