Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Anti-theft precautions!

Anti-theft precautions!

Craven Birds

Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?

Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and
have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://www.freewebs.com/birding/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

why?

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:

>Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
>unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
>
>Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and

No comment.

>have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

Yes.

There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
password to run.

Maybe a finger print reader.

www.google.com
Searched the web for
notebook security
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,670,000. Search took 0.21 seconds.
see the keyword hits on the right for sites like
http://www.pcguardiananti-theft.com/

Using http://uk.insight.com to lookup options.
Enter notebook security into the search box.

Start off with one of the cable bolted to desk security kits. Try and
reduce possibility of it getting stolen first.

Or the mobile, loop around a large object version.
Belkin Notebook C100 - Security cable lock
Product Code: BELNA03A0Y

Alarm.
Targus Defcon 1 Ultra - Security cable lock - black
Product Code: TARAA02L6T
a lock slot adapter that fits into the security slot found on most
notebook computers, a 105-decibel alarm and a motion sensor with
adjustable sensitivity. The retractable steel cable is run through the
computer lock slot adapter, and around a fixed object (such as a desk)
and back

Byte Brothers Universal CD ROM and Diskette Lock - Security lock
Product Code: BYBAA02RK5
The DKL003 Universal CD ROM and Diskette Lock fits all CD-ROMs and
diskette drives. Super Bond adhesive bonds lock to the outside of the
drive. This allows media to remain operational while protecting it from
theft.

Kit.
Byte Brothers X-Lock BB4HD-X - System security kit
Product Code: BYBIA02S72
The kit includes cable, resetable combination lock, travel pouch, a
separate X-Clip bracket and a Byte Brothers Worldwide Registry Property
Tag.

Or only enter, 'security' the notebook and handheld section has 80+
hits.

Me

Craven Birds

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:
>
> >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
> >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
> >
> >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and

> No comment.
>
> >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

> Yes.
>
> There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
> password to run.
>
> Maybe a finger print reader.

You misunderstood the post I don't need security cable et al. So not
relevant. Software options are required! I've now set my password and I
won't forget it like a lot of posters seem to do :-0

why?

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:27:46 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:
>>
>> >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
>> >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
>> >
>> >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba and

>> No comment.
>>
>> >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

>> Yes.
>>
>> There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
>> password to run.
>>
>> Maybe a finger print reader.

>You misunderstood the post I don't need security cable et al. So not

Don't assume what I didn't miss or not. Preventing the theft in the
first place, makes a lot of sense.

Try www.google.com as I mentioned, with an example shown!

>won't forget it like a lot of posters seem to do :-0

Me

Rud

"Craven Birds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bviuus$s89s2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:12:48 -0000, Craven Birds wrote:
> >
> > >Is there any method you can use ,so that if a laptop is stolen it is
> > >unusable; such as Bios passwords or are other methods available?
> > >
> > >Also is it that difficult to remove bios passwords? I have a Toshiba

and

> > No comment.
> >
> > >have never set a password should I? And NO it's not nicked!

> > Yes.
> >
> > There is also software which can encrypt disk contents, requiring a
> > password to run.
> >
> > Maybe a finger print reader.

> You misunderstood the post I don't need security cable et al. So not
> relevant. Software options are required! I've now set my password and I
> won't forget it like a lot of posters seem to do :-0

Setting a bios password will only stop them using for about 10 minutes, if
that, as it can easily be reset. The best bet is to go for the option that
why? described, encryptinging the disk contents so that it requires a
password to run.