Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > re-install

re-install

tomm

When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows over
the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting the
drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
original?
I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
password.
Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can

---

Robert

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:25:19 -0000, "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows over
>the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
>Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting the
>drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
>original?
> I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
>password.
>Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
>

>---

Try system restore I had to reinstall and I had to repartition the
drives

tomm

I can`t go back. System restore says it is not possible no matter which
restore point I pick

> Try system restore I had to reinstall and I had to repartition the
> drives

---

Abbyss

Hi!

No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the CD)
and choose "upgrade".

Regards
Abbyss

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
news:401bc8d8$0$9389$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows

over
> the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
> Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting

the
> drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
> original?
> I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
> password.
> Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
>

> ---

tomm

I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
I want to re-install xp over my original
"Abbyss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KIRSb.31897$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the CD)
> and choose "upgrade".
>
> Regards
> Abbyss
>

> "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
> news:401bc8d8$0$9389$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing windows

> over
> > the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
> > Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about formatting

> the
> > drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over the
> > original?
> > I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
> > password.
> > Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
> >

> > ---

---

Abbyss

Aaaaaa!

Ok, but, you can not do that. You can not upgrade form 98 to XP. Backup you'
re personal files, e-mail addresses, favourites an so on. Then do a CLEAN
install of XP.

Regards
Abbyss

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
news:401bec37$0$13347$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
> I want to re-install xp over my original
> "Abbyss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KIRSb.31897$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the

CD)
> > and choose "upgrade".
> >
> > Regards
> > Abbyss
> >

> > "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
> > news:401bc8d8$0$9389$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > When I had win 98 I used to correct some probs by re-installing

windows
> > over
> > > the original (rather than a clean re-install). How do I do this in xp?
> > > Is it the same method? When I get to the option screen about

formatting
> > the
> > > drive, is there an option NOT to format, but just to re-install over

the
> > > original?
> > > I tried the repair option but this took mne to a screen asking for a
> > > password.
> > > Anyhow I prefer to re-install XP if I can
> > >

> > > ---
> > >

> ---

tomm

hang on.....
I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
clear up a few probs..
"Abbyss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l5SSb.31902$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Aaaaaa!
>
> Ok, but, you can not do that. You can not upgrade form 98 to XP. Backup

you'
> re personal files, e-mail addresses, favourites an so on. Then do a CLEAN
> install of XP.
>
> Regards
> Abbyss
>

> "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
> news:401bec37$0$13347$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I don`t wan`t to upgrade from win 98.
> > I want to re-install xp over my original
> > "Abbyss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:KIRSb.31897$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > No problem. Just run setup from CD (winnt or winnt32 from i386 on the

> CD)
> > > and choose "upgrade".
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Abbyss
> > >

> > > "tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
> > > news:401bc8d8$0$9389$(E-Mail Removed)...

> windows
> > > over

xp?

> formatting
> > > the

> the

> > ---

---

°Mike°

Boot from the XP CD. Choose a new install, and the setup
should find your current version and perform a repair.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 18:26:25 -0000, in
<401bf34a$0$13347$(E-Mail Removed)>
tomm scrawled:

>hang on.....
> I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
>All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
>clear up a few probs..

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Liz

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hang on.....
> I have XP installed ( I should never have mentioned win 98!)
> All I want to do is re-install XP over my original XP to see if it would
> clear up a few probs..

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q315341

If you want to prevent at least some activation headaches, you can make
a backup copy of Wpa.dbl, a tiny file stored in the %\SystemRoot%\System32
folder. This file contains the hardware "fingerprint" information used to determine
whether activation is required. If you need to reinstall XP on a system that
has already been activated, you can restore this file and bypass the need for
activation--if your hardware hasn't changed appreciably since the original activation.
Windows also creates a backup copy of this file, called Wpa.bak, at startup.
This backup copy can be lifesaver if you encounter problems after a hardware
upgrade. If Windows refuses to run because your new hardware has triggered
the activation code, you may be able to recover using this workaround:
Restore your old hardware, start your computer in safe Mode, and rename
Wpa.bak to Wpa.dbl. If all goes as it should, you will be reactivated and able
to continue working.

In addition, if you purchase a new computers on which Windows XP is
preinstalled, the activation process may have been completed before delivery.
Copies of Windows sold this way are frequently tied via software to the
BIOS of that computer. You may reinstall that copy of Windows XP an
unlimited number of times on the computer it came with, regardless of how
many upgrades you make.

Liz

Backup / Restore XP Activation
http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/atips/atips13.shtml