Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cache

Cache

fhg

Aida reportd that the L2 cache (level2/secondary) cache is 0, which will
result in a performance penalty.

To what & where do I change this ?

In the Ami bios setup the only cache choices are Internal & External and
they can be either enabled/disabled.

Alien Zord

"fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
news:8%OSb.7038$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Aida reportd that the L2 cache (level2/secondary) cache is 0, which will
> result in a performance penalty.
>
> To what & where do I change this ?
>
> In the Ami bios setup the only cache choices are Internal & External and
> they can be either enabled/disabled.

Which processor and motherboard?

fhg

Matsonic MS5025 S & Cyrix 6x86L

--
xx
"Alien Zord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvgh5k$re1fs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
> news:8%OSb.7038$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Aida reportd that the L2 cache (level2/secondary) cache is 0, which will
> > result in a performance penalty.
> >
> > To what & where do I change this ?
> >
> > In the Ami bios setup the only cache choices are Internal & External and
> > they can be either enabled/disabled.
> >

> Which processor and motherboard?

Alien Zord

"fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
news:yqQSb.46024$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Matsonic MS5025 S & Cyrix 6x86L

CPU diagnostic utilities like Sandra, AIDA32 or CPUID frequently have
problems correctly diagnosing Cyrix CPUs. Just observe the POST screen for
reported cache. Your mobo should have 512KB.

fhg

> > Matsonic MS5025 S & Cyrix 6x86L
> >

> CPU diagnostic utilities like Sandra, AIDA32 or CPUID frequently have
> problems correctly diagnosing Cyrix CPUs. Just observe the POST screen for
> reported cache. Your mobo should have 512KB.

That is what Aida reported (see original post) - that the L2 is 0 - but my
question is how/where to change it

Alien Zord

"fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
news:LYQSb.46316$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > Matsonic MS5025 S & Cyrix 6x86L
> > >

> > CPU diagnostic utilities like Sandra, AIDA32 or CPUID frequently have
> > problems correctly diagnosing Cyrix CPUs. Just observe the POST screen

for
> > reported cache. Your mobo should have 512KB.
> >

> That is what Aida reported (see original post) - that the L2 is 0 - but my
> question is how/where to change it

Does the POST screen (the BIOS screen at start-up) report 512k?

ICee

fhg wrote:
> Matsonic MS5025 S & Cyrix 6x86L

The Cyrix 6x86L does not have L2 cache on die.
http://www.bytes-and-more.de/tech/cyrix_tech.htm

Here's the manual for the MS5025 (Adobe PDF document):
http://www.matsonic.com/manual/ms5025.pdf

>> "fhg" <(E-Mail Removed)_(notreal)> wrote in message
>> news:8%OSb.7038$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> Aida reportd that the L2 cache (level2/secondary) cache is 0, which
>>> will result in a performance penalty.
>>>
>>> To what & where do I change this ?
>>>
>>> In the Ami bios setup the only cache choices are Internal &
>>> External and they can be either enabled/disabled.
>>>

>> Which processor and motherboard?

fhg

OK thanks. I guess that settles that question.

--
xx
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

fhg wrote:
> OK thanks. I guess that settles that question.

You're welcome. BTW, that MB can have up to 512 KB L2 cache on board.
Not sure how (or if) Aida would 'see' that. The problem is, some MB's
had 256 KB, 512 KB, or 0KB L2 cache, even though there may be 1 to 3
cache chips on the MB (sometimes 'dummy' chips were used).
Try enabling external cache in the BIOS and see what happens.

>> fhg wrote:
>>> Matsonic MS5025 S & Cyrix 6x86L

>> The Cyrix 6x86L does not have L2 cache on die.
>> http://www.bytes-and-more.de/tech/cyrix_tech.htm
>>
>> Here's the manual for the MS5025 (Adobe PDF document):
>> http://www.matsonic.com/manual/ms5025.pdf

--
"God's Final Message to His Creation:
'We apologize for the inconvenience.'"