Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mailwasher/OE message rules

Mailwasher/OE message rules

Smirnoff

Mailwasher has a straightforward option that enables you to filter any
message that does not contain your e-mail address in the "To" field. It
lists this as (not surprisingly) "Not to me"
Trying to create the same thing in OE Message Rules, I notice that there
is not an option that states "Where the message DOES NOT contain...."
i.e. where you insert your own address.
There is an option "For all messages" in the Conditions section but
there is no underlined value to edit it.
Can this be used to create what I want and if so how?
I must be missing something (brain?), I can't believe that such an
obvious filter is not available in OE.
TIA

Spider

You could do it with two rules.
Rule 1 - If To line contains (your email address) stop processing more
rules.
Rule 2 - For all messages (Delete) (move to Deleted Items folder) (Delete
from Server) or what ever you want to do with all messages that don't fit
other criteria.
You should position Rule 2 at the bottom so it is the last rule read. If
you have any other rules above it you should end each rule with "stop
processing more rules"

--
Spider
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/spiderweb1.htm

"Smirnoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvg3tm$35r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mailwasher has a straightforward option that enables you to filter any
> message that does not contain your e-mail address in the "To" field. It
> lists this as (not surprisingly) "Not to me"
> Trying to create the same thing in OE Message Rules, I notice that there
> is not an option that states "Where the message DOES NOT contain...."
> i.e. where you insert your own address.
> There is an option "For all messages" in the Conditions section but
> there is no underlined value to edit it.
> Can this be used to create what I want and if so how?
> I must be missing something (brain?), I can't believe that such an
> obvious filter is not available in OE.
> TIA

Smirnoff

Smirnoff wrote:
> Mailwasher has a straightforward option that enables you to filter any
> message that does not contain your e-mail address in the "To" field.
> It lists this as (not surprisingly) "Not to me"
> Trying to create the same thing in OE Message Rules, I notice that
> there is not an option that states "Where the message DOES NOT
> contain...." i.e. where you insert your own address.
> There is an option "For all messages" in the Conditions section but
> there is no underlined value to edit it.
> Can this be used to create what I want and if so how?
> I must be missing something (brain?), I can't believe that such an

obvious filter is not available in OE.
> TIA

Answered my own question again.
For those who may have been wondering about the same thing:
Select "Where the 'To' line contains people....
Select what action you want to take in the second panel (might be worth
selecting "highlight with colour" first, just to see if it works) you
can opt for "delete from server" later if ok.
Click the underlined "contains people" in the third panel.
Enter your e-mail address(es) and add one by one.
Select "Options". This allows you to change rule to "Where the 'To' line
DOES NOT contain....
Apply and "Apply now"
Trying it this way first will, hopefully, not cause too many problems.

Smirnoff

Thanks, I suppose my way was a bit long winded.

Spider wrote:
> You could do it with two rules.
> Rule 1 - If To line contains (your email address) stop processing more
> rules.
> Rule 2 - For all messages (Delete) (move to Deleted Items folder)
> (Delete from Server) or what ever you want to do with all messages
> that don't fit other criteria.
> You should position Rule 2 at the bottom so it is the last rule read.
> If you have any other rules above it you should end each rule with
> "stop processing more rules"
>

> "Smirnoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bvg3tm$35r$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mailwasher has a straightforward option that enables you to filter
>> any message that does not contain your e-mail address in the "To"
>> field. It lists this as (not surprisingly) "Not to me"
>> Trying to create the same thing in OE Message Rules, I notice that
>> there is not an option that states "Where the message DOES NOT
>> contain...." i.e. where you insert your own address.
>> There is an option "For all messages" in the Conditions section but
>> there is no underlined value to edit it.
>> Can this be used to create what I want and if so how?
>> I must be missing something (brain?), I can't believe that such an
>> obvious filter is not available in OE.
>> TIA

rules for Cisco PIX 525 firewall rules KAS Cisco 2 10-02-2005 07:12 PM
Having Problems with Message Rules and Dictionary Install. Reg Mouatt Firefox 7 10-04-2004 11:58 PM
message rules PMc Computer Support 1 09-12-2003 05:04 AM
Message Rules Jackie Computer Support 1 06-28-2003 05:04 PM
Exporting OE6 message rules Henry S C Computer Support 3 06-25-2003 11:52 AM

Advertisments