Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OT: Question about Computer Career

OT: Question about Computer Career

Jenn

Hi all,
This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from computer
experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree and a web
development degree. My background is 6-7 years of administrative
experience. I work part-time right now doing web development (easy HTML
stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school part-time. Would I have a
chance in the computer industry if I get a web development degree? Or
should I stick to the medical industry? Thanks!

Jenn

Harrison

Jenn,
Stick with the medical.
The human body changes much more slowly than does technology.
If you go tech, you will always be required to stay up to date to
maintain your marketability.
While this is somewhat true with the medical field as well, currently
the medical route is the best way to go. If you're in the US, there's
no question about it. The Medical sector is hiring and recruiting
madly, while the tech sector is downsizing and laying off.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:52:04 GMT, "Jenn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from computer
>experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree and a web
>development degree. My background is 6-7 years of administrative
>experience. I work part-time right now doing web development (easy HTML
>stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school part-time. Would I have a
>chance in the computer industry if I get a web development degree? Or
>should I stick to the medical industry? Thanks!
>
>Jenn

ilmc

Jenn typed:
> Hi all,
> This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from
> computer experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree
> and a web development degree. My background is 6-7 years of
> administrative experience. I work part-time right now doing web
> development (easy HTML stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school
> part-time. Would I have a chance in the computer industry if I get
> a web development degree? Or should I stick to the medical industry?
> Thanks!
>
> Jenn

May I re-enforce what "Harrison" said above?
Lots of people are (sort of) proficient with computers. Its the application
to specific areas of expertise, like medicine, that get the jobs

John Holmes

ilmc came up with this:

> Jenn typed:
>> Hi all,
>> This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from
>> computer experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree
>> and a web development degree. My background is 6-7 years of
>> administrative experience. I work part-time right now doing web
>> development (easy HTML stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school
>> part-time. Would I have a chance in the computer industry if I get
>> a web development degree? Or should I stick to the medical industry?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jenn

> May I re-enforce what "Harrison" said above?
> Lots of people are (sort of) proficient with computers. Its the
> application to specific areas of expertise, like medicine, that get
> the jobs

I agree with that poast. I'm not happy in my current IT-job and it's hard
to find another job. I should have sticked with medicine 15 years ago.

--
Somebody is watching you.

-John Holmes-

Budweiser

"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseBSb.5807$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from computer
> experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree and a web
> development degree. My background is 6-7 years of administrative
> experience. I work part-time right now doing web development (easy HTML
> stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school part-time. Would I have a
> chance in the computer industry if I get a web development degree? Or
> should I stick to the medical industry? Thanks!
>
> Jenn

Go with the medical stuff-----web development?-give it a while and there
will be a wysiwyg programme that does all

just my 0.2

Rud

"Jenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseBSb.5807$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from computer
> experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree and a web
> development degree. My background is 6-7 years of administrative
> experience. I work part-time right now doing web development (easy HTML
> stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school part-time. Would I have a
> chance in the computer industry if I get a web development degree? Or
> should I stick to the medical industry? Thanks!
>
> Jenn

Medical every time.

ilmc

> I agree with that poast. I'm not happy in my current IT-job and it's
> hard to find another job. I should have sticked with medicine 15
> years ago.

Just to prove I read the replies...
poast?

<eg> and pass the whiskey!

Harrison

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:53:30 +0100, John Holmes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ilmc came up with this:

>> Jenn typed:
>>> Hi all,
>>> This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from
>>> computer experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree
>>> and a web development degree. My background is 6-7 years of
>>> administrative experience. I work part-time right now doing web
>>> development (easy HTML stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school
>>> part-time. Would I have a chance in the computer industry if I get
>>> a web development degree? Or should I stick to the medical industry?
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jenn

>> May I re-enforce what "Harrison" said above?
>> Lots of people are (sort of) proficient with computers. Its the
>> application to specific areas of expertise, like medicine, that get
>> the jobs
>>

>I agree with that poast. I'm not happy in my current IT-job and it's hard
>to find another job. I should have sticked with medicine 15 years ago.

So far, it's a one-sided contest.
I wonder how it would be if she'd cross-posted to a medical group?

Sultan

Jenn wrote in newseBSb.5807$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
> This is really off topic, but I really need some feedback from computer
> experts. I am really torn between a medical coding degree and a web
> development degree. My background is 6-7 years of administrative
> experience. I work part-time right now doing web development (easy HTML
> stuff) for a company, and I'm attending school part-time. Would I have a
> chance in the computer industry if I get a web development degree? Or
> should I stick to the medical industry? Thanks!
>
> Jenn

Stick with medical,your chances of finding and marrying a rich doctor goes
way up if your in the profession.

Sultan

ilmc

Harrison typed:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:53:30 +0100, John Holmes
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ilmc came up with this:

>>> Jenn typed:

>>> May I re-enforce what "Harrison" said above?
>>> Lots of people are (sort of) proficient with computers. Its the
>>> application to specific areas of expertise, like medicine, that get
>>> the jobs
>>>

>> I agree with that poast. I'm not happy in my current IT-job and it's
>> hard to find another job. I should have sticked with medicine 15
>> years ago.

> So far, it's a one-sided contest.
> I wonder how it would be if she'd cross-posted to a medical group?

Probably recommend a hysterectomy