Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > firewalls

firewalls

Dan Welch

Evening all,
I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With this
being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers at
home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported by
Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
both online and Z Alarm's down.
cheers
dan

Harrison

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Evening all,
>I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With this
>being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
>specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers at
>home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported by
>Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
>both online and Z Alarm's down.
>cheers
>dan

Dan Welch

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Evening all,
> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With

this
> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers

at
> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported

by
> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
> >both online and Z Alarm's down.
> >cheers
> >dan

Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME network
with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that connects to the
Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network and Internet
Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file / printer sharing within
the network.
My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only rather
than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does* interfere with my
home network.
cheers
dan

Harrison

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Evening all,
>> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall. With

>this
>> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
>> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked computers

>at
>> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not supported

>by
>> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when we're
>> >both online and Z Alarm's down.
>> >cheers
>> >dan
>> >

>Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME network
>with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that connects to the
>Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network and Internet
>Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file / printer sharing within
>the network.
>My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only rather
>than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does* interfere with my
>home network.
>cheers
>dan

From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
through traffic that you've requested."

In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

Senti

Harrison did mumble http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> <Harrison> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm

>> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
>> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
>> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini
>> network and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with
>> file / printer sharing within the network.
>> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
>> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
>> interfere with my home network.
>> cheers
>> dan

> From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
> protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
> Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
> serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
> protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
> through traffic that you've requested."
>
> In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.
--
~SF~
Things will get better -- despite our efforts to improve them. -Will

Harrison

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:16:19 -0600, "Senti"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Harrison did mumble (E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:46:16 -0000, "Dan Welch"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> <Harrison> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
>>> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
>>> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini
>>> network and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with
>>> file / printer sharing within the network.
>>> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
>>> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
>>> interfere with my home network.
>>> cheers
>>> dan

>> From the text, "Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)
>> protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the
>> Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to
>> serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a
>> protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing
>> through traffic that you've requested."
>>
>> In other words, ICF is an ample firewall for most situations.

>However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
>"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
>that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.

Very true. Therefore, XP's firewall, coupled with a good antivirus
solution should be all that's needed.

Sultan

Dan Welch wrote in news:401adebe$(E-Mail Removed):

> <Harrison> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:30:55 -0000, "Dan Welch"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Evening all,
>> >I run Win XP home edition which of course has a built-in firewall.
>> >With

> this
>> >being the case, is it still necessary to have another firewall -
>> >specifically, Zone Alarm? I only ask as we have two networked
>> >computers

> at
>> >home (using internet connection sharing), the connection is not
>> >supported

> by
>> >Z Alarm, I wondered what kind of threat my computer was under when
>> >we're both online and Z Alarm's down.
>> >cheers
>> >dan
>> >

> Thanks for that, however, I have no problem with running the XP / ME
> network with the XP firewall enabled - it's the XP machine that
> connects to the Internet, the ME machine connects via the mini network
> and Internet Connection sharing. Have no real problem with file /
> printer sharing within the network.
> My question was about Internet security using the XP firewall only
> rather than third party software like Zone Alarm, which *does*
> interfere with my home network.
> cheers
> dan

Zone Alarm, when properly configured, will not "interfere" with your home
network. It runs with nary a problem on mine.

Sultan

Dan Welch

"Sultan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9480BBDB4A739sultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.1 57.130...
> Dan Welch wrote in news:401adebe$(E-Mail Removed):

> Zone Alarm, when properly configured, will not "interfere" with your home
> network. It runs with nary a problem on mine.
>
> Sultan

Ah, but I have the cheap free version, not ZA Pro - from what I remember
when I was setting up our home network ZA specifically stated in a help file
that it was incompatible with XP networking, to do that you needed ZA Pro.
Cheers
dan

Dan Welch

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:16:19 -0600, "Senti"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Harrison did mumble (E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> >However, XP's firewall is a one-way barrier. It only protects against
> >"attacks" coming into the computer. It won't block any outging requests
> >that a virus/trojan/worm may attempt to make.

> Very true. Therefore, XP's firewall, coupled with a good antivirus
> solution should be all that's needed.

Excellent. Thanks for your help.
cheers
dan