Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Explorer Tree Anomoly

XP Explorer Tree Anomoly

Phil McKraken

Somehow in my XP Pro SP1 setup, when I go to explorer, the first entry
is my documents and it has contents of my c: drive there including my
documents. Then below that is the computer name, and once expanded
shows the C:\ with all the folders there again ! I have to click the +
on both the computer name and the C to see the folders. How do I get
explorer to open on the C set and eliminate the ones labeled my
documents since there is already a my documents in c. I put a test
file in a folder on c: and tried to delete it from the my documents
(first entry) folder but it deleted it from there AND C: so I am
afraid I will lose my programs and files If I simply delete.

What is wrong is that the contents of C:\ are listed under my
documents. Changing the target does no good.

Tree looks like this:

Desktop
My Documents
(Entire contents of C:\ including My Documents which ACTUALLY
have my documents, i.e. word files etc., in them)
COMPUTER NAME
C:\Main
(Entire contents of C:\ including My Documents)

Anything deleted from the Desktop/My Documents Deletes off the HARD
DRIVE completely !

I am using my name as computer admin without pw or any guest accounts.
Admin account does not show unless I type it in with a pw at logon,
otherwise its not in the user accounts list.

What did I do wrong !!??

help.

Harrison

You apparently upgraded from an older version of Windows which stored
the My Documents folder at C:\My Documents.

XP created a new My Documents folder for each user profile.
Yours is found at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents

Copy the contents of C:\My Documents over to C:\Documents and
Settings\Username\My Documents.

Delete C:\My Documents

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 19:56:31 GMT, Phil McKraken <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Somehow in my XP Pro SP1 setup, when I go to explorer, the first entry
>is my documents and it has contents of my c: drive there including my
>documents. Then below that is the computer name, and once expanded
>shows the C:\ with all the folders there again ! I have to click the +
>on both the computer name and the C to see the folders. How do I get
>explorer to open on the C set and eliminate the ones labeled my
>documents since there is already a my documents in c. I put a test
>file in a folder on c: and tried to delete it from the my documents
>(first entry) folder but it deleted it from there AND C: so I am
>afraid I will lose my programs and files If I simply delete.
>
>What is wrong is that the contents of C:\ are listed under my
>documents. Changing the target does no good.
>
>Tree looks like this:
>
>Desktop
> My Documents
> (Entire contents of C:\ including My Documents which ACTUALLY
>have my documents, i.e. word files etc., in them)
>COMPUTER NAME
> C:\Main
> (Entire contents of C:\ including My Documents)
>
>Anything deleted from the Desktop/My Documents Deletes off the HARD
>DRIVE completely !
>
>I am using my name as computer admin without pw or any guest accounts.
>Admin account does not show unless I type it in with a pw at logon,
>otherwise its not in the user accounts list.
>
>What did I do wrong !!??
>
>help.

Phil McKraken

but i cannot copy it that way.
I store all my programs in folders in c:
so i have in explorer

Desktop
My Documents
Folders with all programs including windows, program files and my
documents again
THEN
Computer Name
C:
and the same thing again

anything I delet from the mydocuments folders at the top are erased
off the drive

so I can't copy them because it will prompt with the exists/overwrite
? prompt. it seems there are 2 sets somehow.

Re: Internet sharing anomoly Jeff Strickland Computer Information 7 05-04-2009 02:56 PM
AVG Free anomoly dogbreath Firefox 6 04-05-2008 06:22 PM
Anomoly using pattern to remove superfluous final \, if present Richard Lionheart Ruby 12 07-10-2004 02:43 PM
Interesting anomoly with 3750 EMI version.... Scooby Cisco 0 05-18-2004 08:39 PM
sublist copies result in behavioural anomoly Paul Whipp Python 1 11-07-2003 08:51 AM

Advertisments