Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hotmail very slow to check Mail with Outlook Express 6.0?

Hotmail very slow to check Mail with Outlook Express 6.0?

lbbs

I setup my Outlook Express to receive my hotmail. When I press
send/receive, it takes a couple of minutes to check (even if there no
incoming emails). After checking once, the second time it is faster.
My regular email account only takes a few seconds to check for new messages.
Why would that be? I tried achieving half of my emails out of the inbox,
but that did not help. Also, tired removing the hot mail account and
starting it up from scratch. Any solution for this problem? If not, is
there a way to skip checking hotmail, on a occasion when I am only
interested in my regular email account? Or at least to force it to check
my local email account first, and hotmail second? thanks

trout

lbbs wrote:

> I setup my Outlook Express to receive my hotmail. When I press
> send/receive, it takes a couple of minutes to check (even if there no
> incoming emails). After checking once, the second time it is
> faster.
> My regular email account only takes a few seconds to check for new
> messages. Why would that be? I tried achieving half of my emails
> out of the inbox, but that did not help. Also, tired removing the
> hot mail account and starting it up from scratch. Any solution for
> this problem? If not, is there a way to skip checking hotmail, on a
> occasion when I am only interested in my regular email account? Or
> at least to force it to check my local email account first, and
> hotmail second? thanks

Beside the Send/Rec button on your taskbar; do you not have an
'arrow' for the 'drop-down' list to check each account individually?
--
"Otherwise, it just checks all accounts in order listed."

lbbs

How do you change the order list, for which email accounts it checks first?

news:bvec64$rkchc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> lbbs wrote:
>
> > I setup my Outlook Express to receive my hotmail. When I press
> > send/receive, it takes a couple of minutes to check (even if there no
> > incoming emails). After checking once, the second time it is
> > faster.
> > My regular email account only takes a few seconds to check for new
> > messages. Why would that be? I tried achieving half of my emails
> > out of the inbox, but that did not help. Also, tired removing the
> > hot mail account and starting it up from scratch. Any solution for
> > this problem? If not, is there a way to skip checking hotmail, on a
> > occasion when I am only interested in my regular email account? Or
> > at least to force it to check my local email account first, and
> > hotmail second? thanks

> Beside the Send/Rec button on your taskbar; do you not have an
> 'arrow' for the 'drop-down' list to check each account individually?
> --
> "Otherwise, it just checks all accounts in order listed."

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office
family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one
of
these newsgroups:
microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlooke xpress for OE 5.x
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgro...outlookexpress
for OE 5.5x
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgro...outlookexpress
for OE 6.x
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgro...ernet.mail.mac
for the Macintosh version of OE
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgro...-us;newsgroups

for all the microsoft.public newsgroups). The links under the newsgroup
references are for use with MS's web newsreader (not exactly the best way to
post but it works for some people)

Also a good source of Outlook Express info can be found here:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted
without reading.

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, lbbs asked:

| I setup my Outlook Express to receive my hotmail. When I press
| send/receive, it takes a couple of minutes to check (even if there no
| incoming emails). After checking once, the second time it is
| faster.
| My regular email account only takes a few seconds to check for new
| messages. Why would that be? I tried achieving half of my emails
| out of the inbox, but that did not help. Also, tired removing the
| hot mail account and starting it up from scratch. Any solution for
| this problem? If not, is there a way to skip checking hotmail, on a
| occasion when I am only interested in my regular email account? Or
| at least to force it to check my local email account first, and
| hotmail second? thanks

trout

lbbs wrote:

> How do you change the order list, for which email accounts it checks
> first?

It's alphabetical. So, just go to Tools; Accounts; Mail tab, and
rename the accounts. Just sticking a letter in front of the name will
do.